Corsair Community

Do I have bad ram?

stumps

Sometimes my computer randomly restarts and I get the error message that windows has recovered from a serious error. This mainly happens when I am performing some intensive task like playing a computer game. I ran the memtest and it reported a series of errors, so I increased the cas latency to 3 and dropped the speed of the FSB to 155mhz to try and solve the problem. Once I did this the restarts occurred much less frequently. However I know a problem exists and it is really niggling me.

Sometimes the motherboard beeps and this often means the computer is going to restart if I don’t stop whatever task I am doing. This lead me to think that something was overheating but the CPU is operating at a constant 50 Celsius.

I have a few ideas of what might be going wrong so I thought Id check if you guys could through any light on my situation. My best guess would be broken RAM or CPU, possibly overheating problems but I am not sure how likely that is. Thanks for any help.

System Spec

Processor: 2700 mhz AMD Athlon XP

Memory: VS512MB400

Graphics Card: GeforceFX 5600

Motherboard: XFX NF24ALH

Running windows XP

Power Supply: 400W

• Corsair Employees

Please try these settings:

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

And then test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure.

But you would need to run the memory at DDR333 with the CPU you have!

I used all the settings that you suggested except the dim voltage because my bios didnt have the option to change it. I then ran the memory test and got no errors after 7 passes. I assume this means that the RAM isnt faulty, but I still get random restarting when playing intensive computer games, do you have any suggestions as to what could be causing the problem?

Here is a link to my motherboard:

http://www.xfxforce.com/mb/product_view.php?sku=NF24ALH

The motherboard model number is NF24ALH and the maker is XFX.

With the new settings you suggested I have had BSOD twice so far and it reports an error message. Next time this happens ill write it down and post it. After I restart the computer no error messages are displayed.

• Corsair Employees
Yes that is exactly what I asked for that you! And You might try and set the timings to Cass 2.5-3-3-6 and see if the system is more stable, but it would really help to know the stop message you get or the code and then you can search it at http://www.microsoft.com/technet and maybe get an idea what exactly is causing the restart.

Archived