Corsair Community

EK Vardar and Commander Pro - Max RPM Detected as 300?

Vihsadas

Hi there,

My problem is:

My EK Vardar 1600rpm fans are detected as having a max RPM of about 200-300 in corsair link. They are attached to a CCLP. This is regardless of where I plug them, and whether I plug them in alone or with PWM splitters. How do I fix this?

My setup is:

D5 Vario PWM Pump

Triple 420mm Rad with 3x EK Vardar F2-140 1600rpm fans

Double 280mm Rad with 2x EK Vardar F2-140 1600rpm fans

Commander pro with the latest firmware (1.131)

Corsair Link 4 with the latest version (4.7.0.77)

Fan port 1 - D5 Vario

Fan port 2 - 2x Vadar - On a two-way PWM Splitter (only one of the fans sends the RPM signal back to the CCLP, the other one has the wire cut. They both receive the PWM signal from the CCLP)

Fan port 3 - 3x Vardar - On a three-way PWM Splitter (only one fan sends an RPM signal back to the CCLP, on the other two, the wire is cut. All three receive the PWM signal from the CCLP)

What I have found:

The D5 vario works beautifully. I can set its max to 4800 (which is the max per manufacturer), and I can control it with a curve no problem.

The 3x Vardar show up as having a min RPM of 320 and max RPM of 330 in Corsair Link

The 2x Vardar show up as having a min RPM of 220 and a max RPM of 230 in Corsair Link

This means that any fan curve I set, the fans won't go above 300rpm. When the CCLP first starts up, they all ramp up to their maximum but quickly ramp down to 300rpm.

What I have tried

1) Erasing Corsair Link completely with all profiles and the service and starting from scratch.

2) Reinstalling the firmware on the CCLP by entering bootloader mode and updating through corsair link.

3) Restarting, hard restarting. powering off.

4) Changing the internal USB header,

5) Uninstalling USB devices and reinstalling

6) Trying a single fan in each different port.

7) Using SIV to manually set the fan curves, or the RPM/PWM to 255/1600. (SIV is, however, able to control the D5 vario pump no problem)

No luck.

Is there a way to force a maximum RPM for a fan?

Help!

Hi there,

7) Using SIV to manually set the fan curves, or the RPM/PWM to 255/1600. (SIV is, however, able to control the D5 vario pump no problem)

No luck.

Is there a way to force a maximum RPM for a fan?

Help!

If you are using SIV and SIV is set up to control Link devices, and lists the fans in [AIO Link Fans] and you set the Fan Control Mode for those fans to 1 (Fixed RPM) and then type in the RPM value you want and hit Apply, the fans do not respond by changing to that RPM value (or close to it)?

Thanks for the reply.

As to your question. The vardars range of RPM is detected as 100-300 approx. so any change in SIV only changes the fan that amount.

My D5 vario is correctly detected as going up to 4800, so it can be correctly controlled in SIV. No problems there.

I've determined the problem (I think).

1) In SIV, the vardar fans are being incorrectly reported as 3-pin voltage fans rather than 4-pin PWM fans (Dark green in Link fans, rather than light green).

2) If I put the CLCP in bootloader mode and reset the firmware, the first time the fans are detected, they are sometimes, inconsistently correctly detected in SIV as 4-pin fans. It seems that after a restart, they are then reported as 3-pin fans and the problem persists.

3) If I use some NB-Eloops PWM fans, they are correctly reported as 4-pin PWM fans and I think they stay that way and don't have a problem with corsair link.

4) Lastly, if I hotswitch the vardar fans with a fan port that has the correctly detected Eloops fan, I can then control the Vardar fans with PWM correctly! I have "Tricked" the CLCP into keeping PWM mode for the vardar fans.

This is not a sustainable solution. So the question then is,

How do I get the CLCP to keep a vardar fan detected as PWM after a restart?

or, How do I force the CLCP to detect a fan as PWM, rather than 3-pin voltage?

Can SIV do this?

I have read some of the threads on here on similar issues (Like the Phanteks detection issue and the noctua detection issue) - seems like corsair might have to fix it. Hopefully you guys can help! I've opened a ticket with them.

Well in my case I am using all Corsair HD-RGB series fans bought in single and 2 packs, and have not had severe fan detection issues. Yes there are reports of Noctuas not working, and even differences in behavior between Corsair fans that are shipped with some cases verses same model but sold separately. And some fans that have problems connected to a CLCP are detected and controlled properly when connected to a Commander Mini (CLCM). I have noticed that a fan plugged into a previously unused port on the CLCP may not be detected the same as when it is plugged into a previously used port, until the CLCP is power cycled.

I have Googled PWM fan control methods and read enough to know that there is more than one method of PWM, so maybe variances in implementation coupled with a firmware issue specific to the CLCP is causing these problems. Several tickets have been opened, and Corsair is supposedly investigating - at least the Noctuas, but no word back yet (of which I am aware). Their initial official position was no guarantee of compatibility with other fan brands, but there are detection issues even with Corsair fans.

As for SIV, I have to go check but I thought if you put a particular fan in control mode 1 (RPM), you could then type any value (from 0 to 9999?) in the box and that RPM value would be used regardless of any predetermined (and incorrect) detected range. Obviously, a fan is not going to operate beyond its possible range, but if you input any RPM value equal to or greater than the fan's maximum, that it would go to its maximum RPM value. Firmware in the CLCP may cause other behavior / limitations.

I may be confused about this and I am not sitting at a machine running SIV at the moment to check this, but I will when I can. Maybe someone who knows a lot more about the control protocol being used could shed some light here. From what I have read in these threads, the problems seem to be caused by firmware issues in the CLCP. The option to allow the user to manually tell the CLCP the fan type (force), may mitigate these problems, but currently the CLCP firmware does not support this. Hopefully Corsair will release an update that addresses these issues soon. The number of incompatibility reports is growing as more people try to use the CLCP to control existing non-Corsair fans, and the fans having problems are major high quality brands like Noctua and EK Varder. Kind of hard for Corsair to ignore this problem.

Thanks again for the reply.

I hear what you're saying about corsair working on the issue with the noctuas. I'm pretty sure Red-ray has hit the nail on the head here ---> http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140665&page=56

with highlighting the fan hotplugging issues. I'm pretty sure fixing hotplugging would fix fan detection. If they fix hotplugging, then its possible the CLCP will update the fans every 10-20 seconds. Then, if a fan was detected incorrectly at startup, it would be fixed within a few seconds by redetection. In fact, a way to test this would be for someone who has a cooling node (where hotplugging does work) to test some noctuas...or a fan like my Vardar F2 1600rpm and see if its correctly detected. I wonder if that has been done...

As to your thought about SIV and fan control modes.

In my case, setting a specific RPM (or PWM percent for that matter), does not change the max RPM that was initially detected by CLCP on startup. All of my fans are PWM. If the fan is incorrectly detected as 3-pin voltage controlled, OR, I hotplug a different PWM fan into a port that is running in 3-pin voltage mode, it suffers the same fate...It's max RPM is not updated by the CLCP and therefore you can't control the fan effectively. In either case, setting the RPM value above the max value initially detected by, and reported by the CLCP does not seem to override the max reported value.

If, however, we use a port that has been initially correctly detected as a PWM port, then even the fans that are usually incorrectly detected will work properly...until the CLCP is power cycled. Then they are re-detected incorrectly as 3-pin.

So from my limited understanding of SIV, PWM, and this small experiment, it leads me to conclude that the underlying problem is that the EK Vardars are incorrectly detected as voltage controlled fans, and the port being in voltage mode is the problem.

To work properly the port needs to be detected as PWM.

A simple solution from corsair would be to allow a user to FORCE a port to be PWM or voltage controlled. If they are worried about users breaking fans by running the wrong mode, then put a disclaimer on the setting.

To me, this just seems like an easy fix corsair should do. From the looks of all of the complaints on this forum, corsair as a company is horribly deficient in the resources it devotes to its firmware and software departments. It's really embarrassing. I'm sure the people working on it are good people with no support to actually change things in a timely manner...

As for SIV, I have to go check but I thought if you put a particular fan in control mode 1 (RPM), you could then type any value (from 0 to 9999?) in the box and that RPM value would be used regardless of any predetermined (and incorrect) detected range. Obviously, a fan is not going to operate beyond its possible range, but if you input any RPM value equal to or greater than the fan's maximum, that it would go to its maximum RPM value. Firmware in the CLCP may cause other behavior / limitations.

The CLCP Firmware may reject what SIV asks for. Some examples and general comments are:

1. Fixed PWM 9 % - Set 9 PWM % error 0x12 for CLCP Fan 1 (CLCP-L HD-1) - in general 1 -> 9 are rejected.
  2. Fixed RPM 299 - Set 299 RPM error 0x12 for CLCP Fan 1 (CLCP-L HD-1) - in general 1 -> 299 + 4001 -> 9999 are rejected.
  3. Asking for 300 RPM on a HD120 gives about 800 RPM which is the same as 10 % PWM. Looking at http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/hd120-rgb-led-high-performance-120mm-pwm-fan then it specifies Speed 800 - 1725 +/- 10% .
  4. The whole CLCP fan detection issue is a total mess and Corsair don't seem to care about the fan detection issues many CLCP owners are having :(:.
  5. To my thinking hotplug not working is a bug and I just don't see why Corsair don't fix it. Given hotplug works for the CLCP temp sensors and for both the CLCC temp sensors + fans surely this is an obvious bug in the CLCP 0.1.131 firmware.
  6. CL 4.7.0.77 does not even report what a fan is detected as which is to say the least rather poor.
  7. It's possible to force the fan type, but you can only set ALL the fans to either 3-pin Voltage or 4-pin PWM which is very limiting and a poor design.
  8. SIV can do this, but I an none too sure if doing this is sensible so I am only inclined to tell members who use http://forum.corsair.com/forums/profile.php?do=extra, specify links to their fan specs and post SIV screen shots how to do this so I can first check what the CLCP is reporting. I also prefer to only reply to posts from members who do this without being prompted.
  9. I am also concerned Corsair may change the firmware and this may no longer be possible as CL 4.7.0.77 does not seem to be able to do this, though it does define WRITE_FAN_FORCE_3PIN_MODE.
  10. I have tried to get Corsair to support per fan overrides, but thus far they won't play ball. Below shows what should be implemented in the CLCP firmware.
  11. I plan to wait and see what happens with the next CLCP firmware release and suspect I will need to ask again.
  12. I just don't get why Corsair don't fix these silly firmware issues, they should have been almost expecting these types of issue, but given CL 4.7.0.77 fails to even report the mode detected makes me wonder.
  13. It's also rather telling that the CLCP fails to correctly detect fans that the CLCC does correctly detect.
  14. Thus far the CLCP seems to be two steps forwards (Zero RPM + Temp Sensors :biggrin:) and two steps back (can't detect several makes of fan and fan hotplug failing/not being supported :(:).
  15. I feel anyone with CLCP fan issues should be logging calls to Corsair Support and then posting the replies from Corsair Support.

attachment.php?attachmentid=30139&stc=1&d=1499582677

78193373_LinkFansDetectionModes.thumb.png.c32f86de073ffede88c5c4fd40a67ba9.png

Archived