Corsair Community

Mixed versions of RAM?

AKJohnny

I recently bought an Alienware computer with 1GB of Corsair ram. I've been having issues with it since day one. After running a memory test it showed one of the modules to be bad. So I had it replaced under warranty.

Now what they sent has a different version printed on it. I'm now trying to figure out whether it's a motherboard problem (Asus P5GD1-VM) or a problem with mixing the versions. One stick says CMX512-3200XL XMS3208v1.2 and the other says XMS3208v1.1.

I am having the same problems as before except the modules are currently testing good. The computer keeps rebooting itermittantly with 2 sticks in. If I remove one, it runs fine.

If the versions don't matter, I'd guess it's the motherboard, but I figured I'd check here first before I waste hours of time with Teir-1 at Alienware.

Thanks for any help!

I don't know where the dimm voltage is. Would it be called something else in the bios? I can't find any jumpers or readings on this. Maybe I'm missing something? :confused:

Timings are as follows:

DRAM CAS# Latency: 2 clocks

DRAM RAS# Precharge: 2 clocks

DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 2 clocks

DRAM RAS# to Activate to Precharge: 5

DRAM Burst Length: 8

Can I or can I not mix the 2 different versions? v1.1 and v1.2

Thanks for your help!

Some mobos don't like the R2C delay at anything other than 3. I know what the difference is in v1.1 and v1.2, but I don't know if it would cause any problems mixing memory.

However, Alienware is well known for their systems, so I would assume they tried 2-2-2-5 with that board before mass-producing it.

Well, Alienware was supposed to send out a stick of version 1.2, but the dimwits sent version 1.1.

Anyway, it appears to be working ok. It passed all the tests in Windows Memory Diagnotics 5 times, and all seems to be working fine. Apparently I received 2 sticks in a row that were defective. Very disappointing.

Now the only concern I have left is, what if any performance loss can happen having one v1.2 and one v1.1 in my pc? I can only imagine that if there is some, it would be minimal. Don't know if it's worth the chance I'd take to get a matching set. Odds may be against me with 2 out of 3 being bad. :(:

Archived