Corsair Community

TwinX1024-3200XLPRO

lady_s

Hi, there!

I have a problem concernig the TwinX-3200XLPRO matched memory pair. About a week ago I purchased a new processor and mainboard along with the ram mentioned above. However, my system is far from operating the way it is supposed to be (continuosly rebooting, blue screens, etc). I think I could use some piece of advice, so here we go:

mainboard

ASUS P4C800-E deluxe (rev.: 2.00, BIOS version 1019)

processor

Pentium 4 3,2GHz (Prescott, D0 stepping)

Whenever both DIMMs are installed, the system becomes unstable and crashes. I have already checked the DIMMs and they do work fine as long as they are not installed at the same time. prime95 and memtest86 ran both smoothly for several hours when only one of the two DIMMs was installed.

I have already tried any possible setting provided by the BIOS, but they still refuse to work together. Any help is appreciated! If there is anything else you need to know, then please ask!

Respectfully Yours

note: I will not decrease the timings from 2-2-2-5 to anything lower than that, since I could have simply bought any other ram available operating at slower timings. Therefore, this is not an option for me!

Welcome to the forums, lady_s!

note: I will not decrease the timings from 2-2-2-5 to anything lower than that, since I could have simply bought any other ram available operating at slower timings. Therefore, this is not an option for me!

This isn't an option I'm going to give you! :p

Have you tried increasing your vDIMM to 2.85 or 2.9 volts? These modules are warrantied up to 2.9, btw. Your chipset could probably use a little extra voltage when running 2-2-2- timings.

Also, does Memtest86+ toss errors when both sticks are installed (using the higher voltage)?

Give that a whirl and let us know!

PLUR

CK

Yes, I have already tried increasing the voltage from 2.5V to 2.75V and 2.85V (maximum voltage supported by the mainboard). Unfortunately, this had no positive effect on the system. When operating with only one DIMM, 2.5V seem to be sufficient, though timings are set to 2-2-2-5.

How can I increase the voltage of the chipset? btw: I dont think this would be wise, since warranty from the mainboard manufacturer would be void! Or am I mistaken?

As soon as both DIMMs are installed the system fails to work properly. I tried changing any setting in the BIOS concerning the ram, with the same outcome, however. Thus errors occur while memtest86 is running (with both DIMMs). I will try to get the system running at lower timings, though this is not satisfying.

thanks anyway

• Corsair Employees
If both modules pass http://www.memtest.org one up or in single channel but not when in dual channel that would suggest a problem with the chipset or maybe a power problem. In addition, I would try and load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.85 Volts and set the timings to Cass 2-2-2-5 manually and Disable legacy USB and test them again.

As mentioned before, I already tried increasing the voltage as well as loading default setups. I will install the DIMMs in another system (ASUS P4P800-E deluxe, 2.4GHz Pentium 4). Maybe this does any good... I will then retest them again (in single and dual mode) using memtest and prime. However, if they fail again, there is no doubt that both modules wont work together (as suggested by you, I tried a 2nd psu with no effect) and i will have no choice but to replace them.

Archived