Corsair Community

DIMM chip configuration problem for A8N?

ahurtt

In the motherboard manual for the Asus A8N SLI Deluxe, it states:

"Due to CPU limitation, DIMM modules with 128 Mb memory chips or double sided x16 memory chips are not supported in this motherboard."

I have Corsair Twinx modules of 2x512 CMX512-3200XLPT. According to the compatibility charts from corsairs compatibility web site this memory should work. But when I look at one of the DIMMS it appears that underneath that heat spreader there are 8 chips on each side of the PCB for 16 total chips. To me this means that this memory is both x16 AND double sided. . .exactly what the manual says it doesn't support. Am I interpreting the manual incorrectly or is the compatibility listing from Corsair incorrect? Can anybody point me to a link or explain how memory / DIMM configuration notation works?

No that is not the case. We use By 8 IC's on all of our XMS modules. And if it were X16 IC's the modules would be single sided, but still have 16 IC's!

Wow thanks for the fast reply. So you are saying that a double sided x16 DIMM would have 16 chips on each side for a total of 32 chips? (32 16 Meg chips instead of 16 32 Meg chips?) So the x16 means the number of chips on ONE side of the DIMM and not the total number from both sides? And most importantly, it was my interpretation of the manual (or lack of understanding of the notation) that was the problem and this memory WILL work fine on the Asus A8N SLI Deluxe? Thanks!

• Corsair Employees
No, I am not saying that at all, but that could be the case. What I am saying is By 16 means the organization of the IC's, in other words you can use 4 64m X 16 IC's and have a single sided 256 Meg module. Or 8 64M X 16's to make a 512 Meg module. It has to do with the organization not always how many IC's are on the module.

Well, I think I'm just getting more confused. . .I am feeling kind of dense right now. What I think I understand at least is that you don't use x16 for the kind of memory I am asking about so this memory is NOT "double sided x16" and IS supported on the A8N SLI. Did I at least get that part right?

• Corsair Employees
YES! LOL! Please don’t feel that way! There is no way that anyone can get this with just a few posts. I have been doing this for many years and it took me a few months or reading and asking questions before I understood what that means. Its not that straight forward, because that term is used for different meanings for one thing and its not a literal translation!

Archived