Corsair Community

Populating memory slots on the Asus A8V Deluxe

brianp

After a couple of weeks reading I eventually settled on purchasing an Athlon 64 Socket 939 30000+ and putting it in an Asus A8V Deluxe board together with 1Gb of TWINX PC3200 C2PT memory.

As I understand it, one of the advantages of the Athlon 64 is the dual memory channels and the memory was chosen on the basis that it would support that feature. However, after reading some of the posts in this forum I am beginning to have thoughts about possible future problems.

In essence, if I decide in a few months to fill the remaining two slots on the motherboard with another 1Gb of TWINX PC3200 C2PT memory will the dual memory channels still work or is there some limitation of the processor or memory which will prevent this?

Thanks,

Brian.

• Corsair Employees

Yes and Yes!

If you install the 4 modules all 4 would need to be exactly matched in both part# and revision or the system may not post.

Second the MB maker may suggest DDR333 when running more than 2 modules, but we have tested many of the socket 939 MB with 4 modules at DDR400, you just need to set the command rate to 2T! And set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts as well as you would need to consider 48 watts just for memory so you might need a 500 Watt PSU or bigger depending on the system configuration!

Archived