Corsair Community

Asus A8v Deluxe and Value Select Kit 1 GB

GermanGuy

Hello!

I`ve been having problems with my system for about one month now. First I chose 1 GB Twinmos Ram I ran in Dual Channel Mode on my new Asus A8v Deluxe. Unfortunately, when I played games, my system would either freeze, give a memory mistake or just reboot (this most likely happened with Half Life 2 or Counter Strike Source). As neither Memtest nor Prime 95 revealed any mistakes, I presumed the power supply to be the weak part in my system. However, I changed it but the problems remained the same. Yesterday I changed my Ram to Corsair Value Select 1 GB Kit, as I hoped for the praised compatibility. But I have just been running Memtest for about 2,5 hours (7 passes), and it revealed 5 mistakes. During the next 10 minutes, it revealed 2 further mistakes. The system temperature is ok, also the memory modules have not become hot at all. Does anybody know what to do or which ram to choose? The only left alternative my vendor has would be "Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2 1024MB Kit

Dual Channel Kit 2x512MB Module".

I would be very happy, if anyone could help, as nobody I`ve asked has an idea what to do.

Thank You!

P.S.:I´m german, i hope I haven`t made too many mistakes.

• Corsair Employees
Please get the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure. If they both pass then please install them in slots 2-4 and test them together to be sure. If you do find you have a failing module, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Hello again!

I´ve got the TwinX 1024 - 3200C2 now. With latencies of 3, 3, 3, 8 (default settings), Memtest has not found any mistakes for 2,5 hours (7 passes). But my vendor told me that the latencies should be better. Can anyone tell me the right (and specified) latencies with 400 Mhz?

Thanks for your help!

• Corsair Employees

Dim Voltage to +2.7 Volts:

CAS Latency CL=2.5

Row Cycle Time tRC Bios Default

Row Refresh Cyc Time tRFC Bios Default

Ras# to CAS# delay tRCD 3

Row to Row delay Bios Default

Min Ras# Active Time tRAS 6

Row Precharge Time tRP 3

Write Recovery Time Bios Default

Write to Read delay Bios Default

Read to Write Delay Bios Default

Refresh Period tREF Bios Default

Enable 2T Timing Disabled

Then test the system with http://www.memtest.org and make sure it's stable! If you have problems, I would set Enable 2T Timings to AUTO and test it again!

While looking around on the Corsair homepage, I found a product sheet which mentioned the same settings as you did. So I changed the timings and ran Memtest for about 2,5 hours (8 passes). Luckily, it didn`t find any errors. Do I have to run Memtest for a longer time, or are 2,5 hours representative enough to assume that my system is stable?

Once again, thanks for your help!

OK, there are only two questions left. How come that firstly the value kit memory modules showed errors not before the 7th pass and secondly, in contrast to my experience, my vendor`s service center checked the memory modules and affirmed that they are technically ok? Is it possible that Asus has done a bad job constructing this mainboard? Even with the newest bios and the second revision those problems could not be solved.

Archived