Corsair Community

RGB cooling fans and components needed?

jwar

Hello to all,

I am at that point in my new build that it is time for fans. Since I have Corsair components already, Vengeance RGB Ram 32g ddr4. H115i rad (wish I would have waited for the newer release but that is life.) I will be sticking with Corsair. What I believe I need is listed below should there be an item not needed let me know. These will be for my ThermalTake Core X5 case see my post on mounting the H115i there are some photos there.

2 each CORSAIR HD Series, HD140 RGB LED, CO-9050069-WW, 140mm High Performance Individually Addressable RGB LED PWM Fans (Dual Fans with Controller) Total of 4 fans

1 each CORSAIR Lighting Node PRO CL-9011109-WW, RGB Lighting Controller with Individually Addressable RGB LED Strips (to Control the led lighting on the fans)

1 each Corsair HD Series, HD120 RGB LED, 120mm High Performance Individually Addressable RGB LED PWM Case Fan (CO-9050067-WW) 3-pack ( I wish there was a twin pack of the 120mm rgb)

1 each CORSAIR HD Series, HD140 RGB LED, CO-9050068-WW, 140mm High Performance Individually Addressable RGB LED PWM Fans (Single Fan, No Controller)

1 each CORSAIR Commander PRO, CL-9011110-WW, Digital Fan and RGB Lighting Controller (not sure if this is replacing the lighting node pro)(but see no other way to get led strips without the node pro)

In summary I will have 9 fans total; 2 on the rad, 4 mounted top of case, 1 at rear, 2 mounted in the front,

I have 3 other fans mounted on the side mounted rad plate not in use but may have to use them for additional cooling depending on heat release from center mounted rad so let me rephase 12 fans total.

Unless Corsair comes out with a 200mm RGB before I purchase my fans then I will have 3 less because I could use the 200mm at top and front. (Cooler Master had a RGB 200mm on display at the latest show)

No one has any input?

I noticed this yesterday but did not reply as I was rather busy and it was too hard to figure out what you were asking.

My best guess is you wish to control the LEDs + Fans of 9 x HD RGB LED fans. Is this correct?

If so you need either:

1. 1 x CL-9011110-WW + 3 x 4-pin PWM Y cables and double up on 3 x fans.
  2. or 2 x CL-9011110-WW which will allow all 9 fans to be controlled and reported
  3. You will need 2 x LED Hubs (Controllers) as they only have 6 ports each.
  4. The only way to get the LED strips is to get a CL-9011109-WW which is silly.
  5. With #1 you need a CL-9011109-WW anyway
  6. With #2 you don't

Thank you Red Ray for your detailed response.

If I understand this correctly the led hubs come with the fans. Please correct me on this if I am incorrect.

The CORSAIR HD Series, HD140 RGB LED, CO-9050069-WW, 140mm High Performance Individually Addressable RGB LED PWM Fans (Dual Fans with Controller) the controller is the led hub?Is this correct?

Based on my Original Post either way I have to buy the lighting node pro to get the led strips. What is Corsair thinking in this regards, surely not customer satisfaction? Let's put out a Commander Pro and have no available led strips for it. The existing strips we do have are incompatible. But I digress.

To control the fan speeds what other option do I have other than using the Commander Pro. So that all things are looked at in the same software. I.E. The H115i and its integrated fans, The LED HD 140 fans and the led HD 120 fans, the led lighting the ram.

If only Corsair would partner with Asus and the Aura sync that sure would make things a little easier but that is a another story for another time

I guess the only good thing coming out of all of this is that I will have both the Lighting Node Pro and the Commander Pro both as I understand it, I will be able to control the led lighting of Corsairs led strips and any extras I should add in the future. That is if Corsair does not go and change the way they are set up now.

I wonder can one set the strips up to flash/pulse red when temps start to hit safety margins regarding cooling of the cpu? I might just add another set of led fans to the already mounted stock fans on radiator (Push/Pull config) as my radiator is center mounted inside my case. If led strips can not perform that function just so, if things get hot those fans can pulse/flash red or any other color that is alarming to the senses.

Again thank you Red Ray for the previous response btw I have looked at your SIV and will be using that when all my components are installed.

I have looked at your SIV and will be using that when all my components are installed.

With so many points you should number them.

1. Some find the SIV learning curve steep, so make sure you read the user guide.
  2. If it's not too late I recommend you get a CoolIT H110i rather than an Asetek H115i, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=796027 for why.
  3. I find using push/pull with a H110i or H115i is total overkill and a waste of time/money.
  4. As the cooler can control two fans I 1 x CLCP is probably enough.
  5. There being no 5V WS2812B LED kit available from Corsair is to say the least silly and you may find http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168504 of interest if you can solder as you don't really need a CLNP.
  6. Connecting 6 x HD fan LEDs to one port + 1 x HD fan LEDs + a 60 LED strip to the other should be possible, it is I just tried it.
  7. The CO-9050069-WW has the LED hub that you need.

I wonder can one set the strips up to flash/pulse red when temps start to hit safety margins regarding cooling of the cpu?

CL4 + SIV currently support changing the LED colour based on a temperature, but AFAIK the CLCP/CLNP firmware can't incorporate flash/pulse effects into this. Were I inclined I suspect I could make SIV do this, but as there is no firmware support feel I should not. Most SIV users simply turn the LEDs bright red when the specified temperature is reached.

With so many points you should number them.

1. Some find the SIV learning curve steep, so make sure you read the user guide.
  2. If it's not too late I recommend you get a CoolIT H110i rather than an Asetek H115i, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=796027 for why.
  3. I find using push/pull with a H110i or H115i is total overkill and a waste of time/money.
  4. As the cooler can control two fans I 1 x CLCP is probably enough.
  5. There being no 5V WS2812B LED kit available from Corsair is to say the least silly and you may find http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168504 of interest if you can solder as you don't really need a CLNP.
  6. Connecting 6 x HD fan LEDs to one port + 1 x HD fan LEDs + a 60 LED strip to the other should be possible, it is I just tried it.
  7. The CO-9050069-WW has the LED hub that you need.

CL4 + SIV currently support changing the LED colour based on a temperature, but AFAIK the CLCP/CLNP firmware can't incorporate flash/pulse effects into this. Were I inclined I suspect I could make SIV do this, but as there is no firmware support feel I should not. Most SIV users simply turn the LEDs bright red when the specified temperature is reached.

I have already purchased the H115i. To late to return it as it has been in the box for over 30 days. I purchased it because reviews were good when used to cool i7-7700k. That can be replaced in the future I guess.

I can solder to component level. I was a BioMedical Technician and lives depended on my skills with CB repairs. I still have my ESD Soldering equipment. I will be checking out that link to forum you provided.

As soon as I finish mounting my Radiator and routing all the cables and connections for it in my open space case. I will start installing the fans. I am trying to plan ahead for wire cable placement.

Dropping 500.00 plus $ is a little steep but what is it but money to be spent I just want it to all work right the first time and I just read that the H1115i and the Thermaltake PSU with rgb is not compatible software wise. I would have went Corsair PSU but the horror stories pushed me away.

Well to ordering the needed components and then to getting them all installed correctly

I just read that the H1115i and the Thermaltake PSU with rgb is not compatible software wise.

I suspect SIV will report your Thermaltake DPS PSU so you may not need to run the Thermaltake software.

At the moment it can't control the RGB, but if you can get me some USB traces this could well change ;):.

attachment.php?attachmentid=29951&stc=1&d=1497772334

2015312592_LinkPower.thumb.png.a8fe5c590aab0fef7e840f8315e5c25e.png

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry for the delay in response had some medical issues arise for my military service but all is good now and about to purchase my fans and other hardware. It is hard to believe that I can buy it cheaper than buying from the manufactures website. What is wrong with Corsair?

So this is what I am purchasing if anyone sees an error in what I am buying stop me fast please.

listed below:

2 each CORSAIR HD Series, HD140 RGB LED, CO-9050069-WW, 140mm High Performance Individually Addressable RGB LED PWM Fans (Dual Fans with Controller) Total of 4 fans ( To get the hubs for led control)

1 each CORSAIR Lighting Node PRO CL-9011109-WW, RGB Lighting Controller with Individually Addressable RGB LED Strips (to Control the led lighting on the fans)

2 each CORSAIR Commander PRO, CL-9011110-WW, Digital Fan and RGB Lighting Controller

5 each CORSAIR HD Series, HD140 RGB LED, CO-9050068-WW, 140mm High Performance Individually Addressable RGB LED PWM Fans (Single Fan, No Controller)

This will give me 11 fans total that includes the 2 factory supplied fans on the H115i I do believe the Commander Pros will control 6 fans each with H115i controlling it's mounted fans thru the factory connector. So that leaves me with expansion room for 3 more fans on the Corsair commander pro modules. Hopefully I will not need any fan splitters. The lighting node will control the four led strips on led 1 port and then I will connect one of the fan hubs to either led 2 port on the LNP and or connect both fan hubs to one of the commander pros led ports.

So for 550.24 with shipping and tax included of 41.00 usd. I think that should about include everything

I just came across this is this correct there is an expansion pack for the lighting node and commander pro ?

CORSAIR RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion Kit Corsair number CL-8930002

Say it is so

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/corsair-rgb-led-lighting-pro-expansion-kit

Will this mean that I do not have to purchase the LNP for it's led strips and save 20.00 usd? or do I still have to have the LNP because of quantity of fans I am purchasing above?

Once you get the PSU connected post [Link Status] + [Link Power] + [uSB Bus] and we can take it from there.

Will do give me some time to get my fans delivered and installed then I will start everything up. Thanks once again Red-Ray

Yes or you could save even more by using 3rd party LEDs, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=907769

I have read through the entire post referenced in the link. Awesome job and may go down the route and save the 59.99 plus tax for the LNP Since I will have two of the commander pros looks like I can run all the fan rgb leds from one commander and then run the led 3rd party strips from the other.

I was actually brainstorming using the Asus rgb ports on my MB to power and control rgb led 5050 strip external from the computer around the desk set to strobe when temperatures exceed a specified temperature of a component on the MB. You got me to Thinking Red-Ray. And the money saved from the LNP can be used for other enhancements to my PC and Desk.

Archived