Corsair Community

Memonry Problem CMX512-3200C2PT

I have been getting some crashing in my games. They either crashed out to windows or starcraft would hang in a black screen and just spit random unit noises out at me. After a while of looking around for the problem I ran memtest86 on my ram. I tested them together and both seperatly for four passes and both together again overnight. Each stick seems to have an area in which it generates errors in test #5. One stick seems to generate 6 errors around the 250MB point per pass and the other stick generates less errors in the first pass and occasionaly passes it then dump around 20 on the second pass and so forth, it isnt as constant as the other stick with the errors. It generated 143 errors overnight, all test #5 and around the 200s and the upper 900s when they were together. Another thing I noticed is they seemed to do better on the first pass then the rest. Afterwards I tested my friends XMS memory and my old pc2100 ram for four passes and both passed with no errors. Im currently running my pc2100 in my comp now and it seems to have solved a lot of the crashing.

My system specs are:

AthlonXP 3200+ 200MHz FBS

Chaintech Zenith 7NJS mobo

2x CMX512-3200C2PT running at 2.5-3-3-6 with a bus speed of 200MHz

XFX Geforce 6800 GT 8x AGP

450 Watt TTGI power supply

I hope all that is usefull, any suggestions our ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Tom

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB and load Setup/Optimized default settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

TwinX1024 or TwinX512-3200C2

CPU Freq: 200MHz (400 FSB)

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Resulting Frequency: 200MHz (400 FSB)

Memory Timing: User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

DDR Reference Voltage: 2.75 Volts

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

All other settings are motherboards defaults

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

Sorry about taking so long to reply. I made sure the bios settings where what you recomended and tested it again. Memtest still finds errors on both them. One of the stickes even seems to crash windows by itself half the time and the systems seems unstable even when it does load windows.

Thanks

-Tom

• Corsair Employees
Just use the package they came in and a small box so they don’t get damaged in shipping. If you don’t have the clam shells just use a anti static bag and a small box and you should be fine. And please let me know when you get the new modules.

Archived