Corsair Community

Update firmware button missing

greyze

Hi,

I'm trying to update the firmware on my H100i and to my knowledge there is supposed to be some update firmware feature in the devices window. Unfortunately all I have is this;

http://i.imgur.com/gfcfbeq.png

I am using the latest corsair link (4.7.0.77) and the reason i'm doing this is because my CPU is overheating to over 90c while gaming, causing the PC to shutdown. Last attempt to fix it before dismantling the PC basically.

Thanks

1. CL4 can't update the H100i + CLCC firmware :(: - this is silly
  2. You have to use CL 3.2.5742 which can be tricky to find.
  3. The link is http://softwaredownloads.corsair.com/Files/Corsair-Link/CorsairLink_Installer_RC_v3.2.5742.zip
  4. Uninstall CL4
  5. Install CL 3.2.5742
  6. You may need to do as I specified in http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153706
  7. The latest H100i firmware is V1.1.3 + CLCC is 1.1.06.
  8. Good luck
  9. I suspect you may need to use http://forum.corsair.com/forums/profile.php?do=extra to update your PC specs.

Edited by red-ray
Add CLCC

What was the reason for removing the firmware update option anyway?

Good, I suspected it would.

1. CL4 was a total rewrite and CoolIT firmware update was never possible.
  2. I do know that with CL3 + CL2 when firmware updates messed up the cooler was bricked. :(:
  3. I have been asking about firmware update ever since CL4 was released.
  4. This question has not been answered by Corsair
  5. I think you are the first member I have seen with the same User Title as myself and I am wondering, Which area do you work in?

• 42. I can't find out how to update CoolIT firmware. Is this possible?
  • 43. I can't find any CLCC or any other firmware, was expecting (wishfully hoping for) a new version that fixed the long standing bugs and added support for 0 % PWM to stop the fan.

A total re-write? from what I can see CL3 & 4 are still mainly C# applications with a few native DLL references. In CL3 almost all the hardware communication and firmware update code is just straight C#. I wonder what made firmware updating impossible on CL4...

Also nice spotting on that registry bug. I see where they handle that regkey in their fixUpRegistry() func but I can't see how it derped up into a binary.

I'm a C++ dev working in cyber security, nothing to show for it unfortunately!

Congrats btw! SIV is a great tool :)

I wonder what made firmware updating impossible on CL4...

I don't know why CoolIT firmware update is not in CL4 and if I did I suspect I could not tell you. I ponded adding firmware update to SIV, but given the issues with bricking decided against this. With the LNP CL4 still messes up, but we discovered how to recover from this. I suspect the CLCP will be the same and will check once they arrive.

Thank you for the background info and am pleased to hear you think SIV is a "great tool". It's a never ending job supporting new hardware and recently added Ryzen 9 + Core i9 support, but testing this is tricky.

Also nice spotting on that registry bug. I see where they handle that regkey in their fixUpRegistry() func but I can't see how it derped up into a binary

I just reread and spotted this. Pre W10 TH2 it was a REG_DWORD and with TH2 M$ changed it changed to a REG_BINARY. What is rather surprising is it does not need to be changed at all, Only EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled needs to be zeroed. I am also rather confused as to why CL4 asks for a reboot after doing this rather than just calling CM_Disable_DevNode() then CM_Enable_DevNode() and maybe I will try to get Corsair to address this.

To use SIV to manually do the EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled registry edit simply uncheck it and then press [Restart]. None of the other Device Parameters need to be changed/set to zero though there are many misleading posts that say they should.

attachment.php?attachmentid=27675&stc=1&d=1486409322

Edited by red-ray

• 8 months later...

Hi all I sorry for bumping this thread in 2018. After following the instructions to update my firmware, corsair link 3.2 (tried a few other versions) stopped responding everytime I attempt to startup while loading the firmware updater. Does anyone knows how I can fix this?

I hope to upgrade the firmware in the hope that it fixes issues with non PWM fan controls not showing RPMs lower than 40%.

Edited by haze.1986

Hi all I sorry for bumping this thread in 2018. After following the instructions to update my firmware, corsair link stopped responding everytime I attempt to startup while loading the firmware updater. Does anyone knows how I can fix this?

I hope to upgrade the firmware in the hope that it fixes issues with non PWM fan controls not showing RPMs lower than 40%.

It won't fix that particular issue ... and it's not an issue, actually. DC-controlled fans require a minimum of 7V. And the pumps only control PWM fans anyway and for those, I don't think it goes below 40% for a value - that's a Link "feature", not firmware.

As for the issue with updating the firmware ... dunno. I know that there is something on here that discusses how to manually update the firmware but I don't have it handy.

It won't fix that particular issue ... and it's not an issue, actually. DC-controlled fans require a minimum of 7V. And the pumps only control PWM fans anyway and for those, I don't think it goes below 40% for a value - that's a Link "feature", not firmware.

As for the issue with updating the firmware ... dunno. I know that there is something on here that discusses how to manually update the firmware but I don't have it handy.

Thanks for the clarification.

Indeed, i understand that DC controlled fans have 7V. But I realised when I set the fan to force 500RPM on a DC fan. It seems to really spin down to a much lower speed, gauging from the noise it produces. It simply show about 1300rpm but it sounds way less than that. So I suppose it is only not showing the real RPM?