Corsair Community

twinx1024 pc3200xl pro and asus a8n sli deluxe

lap1

the case is simple, non o/c, just normal configuration :

mobo : asus a8n sli deluxe

cpu : athlon 3500+ (s939 & 0.13u)

memory : cosair twinx1024 pc3200xl pro

problem :

- some errors in memtest86+ when testing both memories. (errors not at the same place when switching the memories).

- no error in memtest86+ when testing only one memory at a time (for both memories).

See if uping the Dimm voltage helps.

2.7-2.8.

I just tryed but didn't help...

To explain :

when i put both modules in first order :

I get errors while test 3 and 4 at locations (allways the same)

0x21a6b1a4

0x21a6b164

0x21a6b6a4

0x21a6a4ca

0x21a6a084

when i switch the order :

I get errors while test 3 and 4 at locations (allways the same too)

0x1e5c4e5c

0x1e5c595c

0x1e5c4a9c

0x1e5c5b3c

0x1e5c5f7c

but when I put only one module, i get no error (after 20 passes)

To remind, it's just normal use : no o/c at all...

• Corsair Employees
That would suggest some other problem if both modules will run and pass http://www.memtest.org one up but not when installed together. You might check that you have them in the correct slots and load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts and test them on another system if that does not resolve the problem.

That would suggest some other problem if both modules will run and pass http://www.memtest.org one up but not when installed together. You might check that you have them in the correct slots and load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts and test them on another system if that does not resolve the problem.

I checked the slots... seems ok.

I tryed 2.8v and all auto in bios. Errors.

I tryed 2.8v and forcing the setting in bios. Errors.

Now i'm trying at DDR333... For now : no errors but only 2 passes with memtest...

My config :

asus a8n sli deluxe

corsair twinx1024 pc3200 xl pro

athlon 64 3500+ (s939 & 0.13u)

2x asus extreme n6600gt

2x western digital pata 80 Gb... (don't remember the factory name)

antec true power 480w

sound blaster audigy platinium

hauppage tuner card (wintv nicam)

i'm just trying on another system : (at my work)

Compaq Petium 4 at 2793 mHz with intel i848/i865...

Memory running at : 166Mhz (DDR332) - Cas 2 2 2 5 - Single Channel (64 bits)

And after 5 min :

Already got a test 4 error...

So it's definitely the memory... Now i'll have to go back to the store where I bought them and ask for new ones...

To add an useless comment :

I thinked it could only be the ram :

when i put the modules in one order i got error around the location 532Mb only.

when i put the modules in the other order i got error around the location 468 only...

When i put again the modules in the first order i got error around the same location :532M... and so on... without changing anything else...

But i doubted when i tested each module alone because of no error... Strange isn't it ?

i'm just trying on another system : (at my work)

Compaq Petium 4 at 2793 mHz with intel i848/i865...

Memory running at : 166Mhz (DDR332) - Cas 2 2 2 5 - Single Channel (64 bits)

And after 5 min :

Already got a test 4 error...

So it's definitely the memory... Now i'll have to go back to the store where I bought them and ask for new ones...

To add an useless comment :

I thinked it could only be the ram :

when i put the modules in one order i got error around the location 532Mb only.

when i put the modules in the other order i got error around the location 468 only...

When i put again the modules in the first order i got error around the same location :532M... and so on... without changing anything else...

But i doubted when i tested each module alone because of no error... Strange isn't it ?

It is possible that one of the modules cant take it under dual channel conditions. You should be able to find out which one if you cross reference the memory location to the actual physical location of the modules. If you got these RAMs as part of a TWINX kit, replace the whole kit.

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry, but an OEM system will not let you set the Dim Voltage and the minimum suggested dim Voltage for these modules would be 2.75 Volts. But I have no problem replacing your modules, but from what you have posted I would suspect some other issue, likely PSU related.

I am sorry, but an OEM system will not let you set the Dim Voltage and the minimum suggested dim Voltage for these modules would be 2.75 Volts. But I have no problem replacing your modules, but from what you have posted I would suspect some other issue, likely PSU related.

PSU related ? with an antec true power 480W ?

would surprise me as i "only" have a 3500+, 2 6600gt cards, 2 hd, 2cd/dvd drives, 2 pci cards and nothing on usb / firewire.... And asus say for that config that a PSU of 400W is the min requirment...

And if PSU why are the errors always at the same locations ? (532 or 468 depending on the order...) and even at 333 MHz (on mine and at work) and thoses modules require 2.75 for DDR400 but for DDR333 ?

By the way, the store didn't have the corsair xl pro before monday and kept mines... so for now I have samsung modules. For sure those are slow (3 3 3 8) but i ran memtest against it and it passes the tests without any errors for 23 times.... So i don't think it was the computer but only the memory that couldn't handle dual...

PSU related ? with an antec true power 480W ?

would surprise me as i "only" have a 3500+, 2 6600gt cards, 2 hd, 2cd/dvd drives, 2 pci cards and nothing on usb / firewire.... And asus say for that config that a PSU of 400W is the min requirment...

And if PSU why are the errors always at the same locations ? (532 or 468 depending on the order...) and even at 333 MHz (on mine and at work) and thoses modules require 2.75 for DDR400 but for DDR333 ?

There is always a minimum voltage below which an IC ceases to function. The 2.75V would be the minimum voltage that the TCCD ICs require to function. The analogy of more frequency = more voltage doesnt always hold true when talking about frequencies BELOW the rated frequency of memory modules.

• Corsair Employees

We can try replacing your module if you like, but what you have posted suggests some other problem.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

i finally got my new modules....

I took my samsung out and put my corsair in...

result is worse with these modules.....

when both modules are in : i get a bunch (about 30) of error 5 with memtest at each passes.... (with the old ones i had none of 5, only random appearing errors 3&4 around always the same locations...)

i tryed the modules at 2 2 2 5 : getting errors 5.... (even at 2.9v) (forcing settings in bios)

i tryed the modules at 2.5 2 2 5 : still getting errors 5.... (even at 2.9v) (forcing settings in bios)

i tryed the modules at 3 3 3 8 (because that are my samsung modules time): no errors after 2 passes (as my samsung)....

Now i'm trying each module separately... (the first one has already 3 passes with no errors and bios settings on auto (and recognized as 2 2 2 5))

Maybe I'm cursed/doomed/crazy..... (choose the right word)

Looking forward with the Frank the tank because he has a a8n sli deluxe and the twinx too but working :-)...

By the way here is my config (again) :

asus a8n sli deluxe (bios 1002)

samsung original pc 3200 (3 3 3 8) 512 MB (x2) should be replaced by corsair twinx 1024 pc3200xl pro (2 2 2 5) when they work...

2x asus extreme n6600gt

2x western digital 80 GB pata...

Pioneer DVD-R A06.

Lite On CD-r 52x32x52..

Antec True Power 480W

Sound Blaster Audigy Platinium.

Hauppage WinTv Nicam PCI.

--------------------------------------------------

I just came home :

- after 41 passes of memtest : no error for the first module.

- began to test the second module : after 2 passes already 54 errors in memtest while test 5...

so now ?

In fact the first time i went to my local store... they exchanged it and now it's the second time they are bad, so i exchange directly with you because it's maybe linked to the place they put the stuff (magnetic field ????)...

I don't have a second computer with ddr... My old computer was a PIII 650 MHz with old sdram...

I only have samsung mem that work ok with my config but not as fast as corsair should do with my config.

So are samsung pcb better ?

I apology (in advance) for being a bit angry, but i'm always saying the same things and always geting the same answer from you :

1) try your module in another computer.

2) it's psu related.

And that's a bit repetitive.... (and i'm being polite)

Read the whole thread for once and not only the last post as you always do !!!!!!

The summary once again :

The first twinx set was defective under intensive stress of hyperthreading (randomly appearing (sometime first pass sometime after 6 passes) error 3 and 4 always around same location)...

For the second twinx, there is a defective module with error 5 at each passes of memtest...

Now i want to exchange the second set...

I used the electronic form for a RMA... But get no answer... (even after 24h hour as i did it yesterday, for about 24h hours ago)

After all, I'm asking myself : Are corsair modules expensive only to let you think you buy quality or are they expensive for their quality ?

We are going forward....

I never got any email for any RMA...

Because for the first time, i exchanged the modules at my local store...

And now I would like to exchange directly with you. So I asked for a RMA (via the electronic form) for about 36 hours ago and i'm still waiting for any response...

Should I ask for it one more time ?

If so :

What should I put in the "Ticket#/PostID#" field ?

And as I don't live in the USA, should I leave the "State" field blank or must it be filled with something ?

• 1 month later...

I finally got my memory from corsair.

I tested it, and now surprise : It works !!!!

So I will just say : thank you, i can finally use my corsair memory !!!

That's all folks...

(just for stats : i sended my mem from france the 10 of febuary 2005 and got them the 4 of march 2005)

Archived