Corsair Community

Bling-Bling Ram w/ MOBO settings...

Xeroqualm

I recently purchased a new rig with TWINX2048-3200PRO 2x1gb Ram, AMD 64 3800+ and a Gigabyte GA-K8NSNXP-939 Board. It ran sweet for about a week, then started going south in terms of RAM issues. Basically, the system was not stable at all running dual Channel, 400 mhz. Worked ok with one stick, or with both sticks @ 133 mhz apiece (If you call dropping about 2,000 3dmark03 points ok)

(Note: Moderators feel free to edit the next couple of paragraphs if it's too harsh)

After talking with the gigabyte tech support (if you call them that :wtfman: ) I got offered these gems:

"Maybe your power supply is too small" (I'm using a 500 watt)

"Set your DDR voltage to 2.8 in the bios" (Their bios has a max of 2.7 V for the DDR. Nice work knowing your own board, guys)

"Your RAM is deffective, buy a different brand"

Well, I ran extensive tests on the memory, and there's no problem there. I've always used Corsair RAM with no problems until now, and I came to the conclusion that I would much rather RMA a picky MOBO with crap tech support than my pretty high end RAM.

Anyway, there is a point to this: I ordered a ASUS AV8 Deluxe, and I am so sick of screwing with BIOS settings that I was wondering if the RAM guy could give me a list of optimum settings for my RAM so I can go into this new adventure with all my bases covered. Oh yeah... and anyone thinking of buying a Gigabyte GA-K8NSNXP-939, look around on Forums first. there is A LOT of people having the problem I described.

Asus A8V, not AV8 :) Abit makes an AV8 though.

CAS Latency: 3

RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3

Row Precharge (tRP): 3

Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8

Haven't heard many good things about GB's T/S lately :( Hope they get their stuff together.

• Corsair Employees

First thing, I have no problem replacing your modules with new memory should you feal you want to try that. But the suggested settings for these modules with an ASUS A8V are bellow with the modules installed in slots 2-4.

Dim Voltage to +2.7 Volts:

CAS Latency CL=2.5

Row Cycle Time tRC Bios Default

Row Refresh Cyc Time tRFC Bios Default

Ras# to CAS# delay tRCD 3

Row to Row delay Bios Default

Min Ras# Active Time tRAS 6

Row Precharge Time tRP 3

Write Recovery Time Bios Default

Write to Read delay Bios Default

Read to Write Delay Bios Default

Refresh Period tREF Bios Default

Enable 2T Timing Disabled

Then test the system with http://www.memtest.org and make sure it's stable! If you have problems, I would set Enable 2T Timings to AUTO and test it again!

Thanks for the great help guys. I got the new MOBO last night, and so far everythings is running like a dream. I got my 3dmarks back, and as of this minute PRIME95 has been running for 10+ hours without a hitch.

If problems pop up, it's probably my RAM, but as of now I say this problem was 100% Gigabyte

Bad RAM my @#$

Thanks again guys

Archived