Corsair Community

750D + H110iGT airflow question

DrkEagle

I have a air flow question on my new setup. I have a 750D AirFlow case and a H110iGT cooler setup in push.

First, I am going to replace the stock cooler fans as they are giving off a extremely annoying buzzing noise. I am not sure what to replace them with. Non-LED SP140 fans don't seem to exist, unless I am missing something. Also thinking of spending the money for 2 ML140 Pro's but will those work well in a push setup?

Secondly, I'd like to turn it into a push/pull setup, I think I'll have enough clearance on my mobo to add 2 fans at the top. The question though will be how to mount the fans on top while also mounting the cooler assembly to the top of the case. Are longer screws required to make this possible? Has someone done this and do you have a link where to buy the screws from?

Lastly, I plan on replacing the 2 front 120 case fans with 140's to increase air flow just that much more. Unsure if I'll go with AF140 Quiet Edition's or ML140 Pro's.

Any other input on increasing better air flow is greatly welcomed, sadly, my room tends to run on the warmer side. Running the a/c at a comfortable temp here in northern Cali can get rather expensice. :/

http://imgur.com/a/PZ09v

Also thinking of spending the money for 2 ML140 Pro's but will those work well in a push setup?

Absolutely, and a step up in most respects. It will not be cooler, but it will be much quieter with less bearing rumble. I even like those fans in pull exhaust on my Air 740 and I normally hate pull because of the interaction with the fan and case top. This is an easy upgrade.

Secondly, I'd like to turn it into a push/pull setup

Save the money or use it for something else. You just don't need this. 800-1000 rpm on a pair of ML140's will be reasonable quiet and give you enough airflow for anything you do. This is enough for me at almost twice your wattage. You can even turn them down to 500-600 with only a tiny CPU temp penalty. The only people that need push-pull on 280mnm is someone using it as the primary intake or someone with massive exhaust needs that have nothing to do with CPU temps. You will not lower your CPU temps by throwing another set of fans on there.

Lastly, I plan on replacing the 2 front 120 case fans with 140's to increase air flow just that much more. Unsure if I'll go with AF140 Quiet Edition's or ML140 Pro's.]

The ML's work fine as an intake, but keep in mind you do not want to run them at 2000 rpm or anything close to it. 1000 rpm is where most people will start to notice the noise, so cut the airflow figure in half when making comparisons.

2 AF140's will work fine and you can run them at 800-900 rpm under load and not be bothered much. They would be the quieter fan at like speeds. The difference is in the blade angle and this could be a plus or a minus. The AF140 is quieter because of the angle, but it pushes air in a more diffuse pattern. The ML has a flatter blade with a more focused airflow cone, but the trade off is slightly less volume and more perceived blade noise at identical speed. At lower speeds, this does not make much difference. Since you also have 2 more intake fans on the bottom, I don't see a reason you would need more focused flow or to blast anything. You could use AF's all across the intake and keep the speed moderate or below. That is as much intake as you need and what you have now. Those fans are the front are the generic version of the AF140. Same blade and motor. Same sound and performance. Any reason to complain?

Thank you for your response and feedback! I'll be ordering a few ML140 Pro's tonight for sure.

Those fans are the front are the generic version of the AF140. Same blade and motor. Same sound and performance. Any reason to complain?

I'll have to re-inspect my case tonight but I seem to remember during building that they were 120's and not 140's. I remember seeing identification markings on the case saying "120" and "140" in screw-hole locations.

I bought an aftermarket case filter package from here: http://www.demcifilter.com/p0483/Corsair-Obsidian-750D-Dust-Filter-Kit.aspx

When applied onto the case (exhaust on rear of case and on top from the push through the radiator), the filter mesh raises up/out a tiny bit from the fans blowing against them. Do you suspect any issues with back pressure from the mesh possibly holding back the air flow a bit? I can attach a image of what I mean when I get home today.

It is possible you might have 120mm installed in the front. There have been a few versions of the 750D and perhaps an older one came with 120's. Regardless, it will take 2x140 as a perfect fit and that would be my choice. The 120's could be used on the bottom as supplemental intake, if needed.

The filter certainly will add to the resistance the fans face, in addition to the radiator. How much this matters on actual cooling, is an unknown. You'll need to compare with them on and off. The rear filter should not matter too much, but the top combination may cost you some cooling. Look the H110i GT Temp in C-Link. CPU loads vary too much to compare without software tracking, but the fans have a direct effect on coolant temperature and that is a far easier variable to measure. I generally do not recommend filter for radiator restricted ports, however there are circumstance where they may be necessary. You'll have to evaluate your higher priorities. You can always bump the fan speeds up to overcome this. I simply prefer to dust once every month or two rather than crank my fans up on a daily basis.

Archived