Corsair Community

Oh Noes! Meh Precious Has Died!

Paratus

Imagine my horror when I started getting CTDs and Blue Screens Of Death with labels pointing to memory problems. :eek: I check both security and system logs and found references to memory dumps and memory errors that all pointed to the same general memory addresses.

"No way!", I thought to myself. "I got two sticks of Corsair XMS!

Well, I ran the Windows Ram Diagnostic from the command line at bootup and started with three runs of the Standard Test. Passed all but one (which I can't even remember now...doh!) and failed the same test all three times. I ran the Extended Test for three runs and got the same error. The program specified my CMX512-3200C2 in slot 2.

I pulled the suspect module and ran the test again with only the first stick installed. Passed all tests. System once again stable.

I think I got a bad stick.

Here's my system specs:

ASUS A7V8X-X, BIOS ver 1009, mem bus @200

AMD XP3000+ (Barton) (clock 2100, multi @10.5x, FSB@200)

WindozeXP Home, sp2

x2 Corsair CMX512-3200C2 (XMS3202 v1.2, CL2)

-STSTEM NEVER OVERCLOCKED- (had a bad experience once...never again!)

I'm an experienced user/builder of PCs for many years.

One minor problem, however. I can't remember where I bought this RAM. It was about 1 year ago, but I can't find the reciept for it. I still have the original package. Lot number of the stick is 0351024, if that helps.

FYI, ignore the Windows Memory tester as it depends on the OS and other factors can affect the results other than the memory. Memtest.org is the recommended one. Test with that with each stick by itself in the slot that the "good" stick is in ATM.

• Corsair Employees

And I would test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and set the following settings.

CPU Freq: 200 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%/1-1

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 200MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

Archived