Corsair Community

Bad, Faulty CMX512-3200C2

mmm65

I suspect I have bad RAM. I bought it in June 2003 as part of computer

purchased at a local retail store. I've had continual problems since the purchase.

I have two Corsair DIMMS as follows (both bought in June 2003):

- Part number CMX512-3200C2

- Version number 2.2

- Lot Number 0321136

I ran Memtest86+ for over an hour on one DIMM and got no errors. I replaced that DIMM with the other DIMM, ran it for 90 minutes, and Memtest86+ reported over 45,000 errors. It seems to be in Bit 14 because all errors I looked at had a bad Bit 14. For example:

Good (write): 60000000

Bad (read): 20000000

I am using default settings for the RAM and all system components. Some

system info from the BIOS and/or Memtest86+:

- Intel Pentium 4 at 2.8 Ghz

- i865 chipset

- CAS: 2.5-3-3-8 (default settings)

- FSB: 199 Mhz

- System Mem: 400 Mhz

- System Bus: 800 Mhz

What next?

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me the exact model# of your memory module and please tell me if you purchased that module as a pair or set; also what is the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and its FSB as well? In addition, please tell me if you have the latest BIOS installed on your system and what BIOS settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

Can you tell me the exact model# of your memory module and please tell me if you purchased that module as a pair or set; also what is the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and its FSB as well? In addition, please tell me if you have the latest BIOS installed on your system and what BIOS settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

Didn’t you read my post? Almost all of the questions you asked are answered.

>Can you tell me the exact model# of your memory module

I PREVIOUSLY wrote:

- Part number CMX512-3200C2

- Version number 2.2

- Lot Number 0321136

What more do you need?

> and please tell me if you purchased that module as a pair or set;

I purchased them simultaneously; the computer came with a total of 1 GB. As I wrote, I bought them both in June 2003.

>also what is the make and model of MB you have

Intel D865PERL MB

> along with the CPU speed and its FSB as well?

Please read my original post for the answers.

In addition, please tell me if you have the latest BIOS installed on your system

No, I can do that. But in the meantime, please explain how the BIOS could be causing a problem when I have a consistent problem (over 45,000 errors when run for an hour) with bit 14 of Module A inserted in a DIMM slot, and then when it’s removed and Module B is inserted in the same slot, there are no problems?

Module A in a slot = 45,000 errors, all on bit 14.

Module B in that same slot = zero errors

Explain how the BIOS could cause that.

> and what BIOS settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

I PREVIOUSLY wrote:

I am using default settings for the RAM and all system components. Some

system info from the BIOS and/or Memtest86+:

- Intel Pentium 4 at 2.8 Ghz

- i865 chipset

- CAS: 2.5-3-3-8 (default settings)

- FSB: 199 Mhz

- System Mem: 400 Mhz

- System Bus: 800 Mhz

Please be more specific as to what you need, because I think I already answered this question.

• Corsair Employees

Let's get your modules replaced, and sorry I missed the info that I needed in your first post but it was there.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived