Corsair Community

Stick of RAM gone south?

DirkGecko

Hey there:

1st time reader, 1st time poster.

Anyway, I've got a stick of CMX512-3200 (512MB, 400Mhz, CL2.5) that is exhibiting wierd behavior. Software would fail to compile, random lockups, etc. I ran memtest86 overnight on two occasions and each time it showed multiple test "fails" on the exact same address range. Other system specs:

Abit KV7

AMD Barton 2500+

Antec TruPower 350

Leadtek GF5900XT

Soundblaster Live!

Maxtor 120gb HD

Seagate 160gb HD

PS2 mouse / kb

I tried multiple BIOS versions with no change. All of the RAM timings are at defaults, as is the DDR voltage (2.6?), and I am not overclocking. In fact, I tried clocking the CPU down to a 133FSB. Got the same memtest errors.

I replaced the RAM module with an el-cheapo Best Buy PC2700 stick and the issues immediately went away.

Any advice?

Thanks!

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you install the memory modules on either slots 1&3 or 2&3 and also have the latest BIOS installed for your MB, load Setup/optimized default settings and try the following BIOS settings;

TwinX1024 or TwinX512-3200C2

Softmenu Setup

CPU Freq: 166

DRAM Clock: 333

CPU/Memory ratio: 1:1

Memory or Dim Reference voltage: 2.7/2.75 Volts

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

Advanced/Chipset

Configure Dram timing by SPD: Disabled/User define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

All other settings should be set to default settings!

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

Archived