Corsair Community

460x/570x - A couple doubts for my new set up

t_and

Hello,

First of all just introducing myself; young architect building a new comp for cad design and 3d rendering. Already got all my configuration and now I'm looking for proper case.

I was always in love with the obsidian 750D, but now that I decided to buy the new comp, I discovered the 460/570x, oh my! No nice...!

Though, problem is that reading a lot and watching many reviews I found that it's really complicated to mount a radiator on top and not having any issues with space. But some videos show the Kraken X52 mounted without problem, can't say the same from what I've seen with the Corsair AIO's

Then one option that it looks to work its mounting the radiator on front, but then it's not possible to use the h110i or h115i without loosing the 3 front led fans because of being a 280mm radiator. So only the h100i v2 (240mm) would fit the front and the led fans, is that right?

Thing though, if we look at this screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/amF0pGI.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tbTLL59.jpg

With a 460x looks a bit tight already, and even more if you want to do a push-pull configuration. So do to so, the safe way would be a 570x because of the extra front space? And as in generall, there are no big differences between both cases right? I even saw that the psu area is better designed in the 460x because of the extra cover.

Thanks a lot for your help ;)

PS: I heard/read somewhere that it's possible to config the color of the LED's according to the temperature of the CPU/box? Really? So thats its green when cool, orange middle and red warm? How do you do this? With the Corsair Link interface? Thanks ;)

If the information in your profile is correct, you will not be able to mount either a X52, H100i v2, or any other 240mm radiator up top. The determining factor usually comes down to RAM module height. The Vengeance LEDs are too tall (49mm), with maximum module height allowed somewhere around 40-42mm for a top mount 240mm.

My advice would be to front mount a 240 on the upper 2/3 of the front panel as shown in the pictures. If you change your mind on the RAM or upgrade down the line, you still have some flexibility in the placement. With no drive bays in the way, this is not such a horrible compromise and much of the CPU waste heat could be evacuated straight out the top.

I like the slightly taller 570x as it allows just a little more wiggle room on placements, but as you have mentioned there may not be a perfect solution. You'll have to balance your priorities.

Hi, thanks for your answer first of all.

Yes the information in my profile is correct, but I still haven't bought anything, that's what Im planning to buy.

That is what I imagined... But the front still keeps like a possible location, and as you say exhaust the heat from the top. I could profit the 2 fans that come with the radiator of the 100i v2 to be placed on top, and the ones from the box for the ventilator. That would work right?

Sizewise boxes are not so diferent, but I also find the proportion of the 570x niicer. And possible, that one would have enough place for a push and pull on the front right? Looks like it:

http://media.gamersnexus.net/images/media/2016/cases/570x-270r/corsair-570x-built1.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Yes, you could move the SP120L grey fans that come with the cooler to the top of the case and use them as exhaust. However, they are most certainly designed with a radiator in mind (thick, flat blades) and will not move a lot of air at lower speeds, becoming noisy at higher speeds. X52 or H100i v2 requires PWM fans to have control from the pump and software. This is not a real obstacle. The SP120 RGB fans (3 pin DC) can be powered and controlled from the motherboard without any great loss of utility in this kind of set-up.

570x definitely has that extra bit of room and push-pull front should be easy for almost any GPU. The PSU shroud can be addressed other ways, but it is a larger footprint if it is going on top of your desk.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, you could move the SP120L grey fans that come with the cooler to the top of the case and use them as exhaust. However, they are most certainly designed with a radiator in mind (thick, flat blades) and will not move a lot of air at lower speeds, becoming noisy at higher speeds. X52 or H100i v2 requires PWM fans to have control from the pump and software. This is not a real obstacle. The SP120 RGB fans (3 pin DC) can be powered and controlled from the motherboard without any great loss of utility in this kind of set-up.

570x definitely has that extra bit of room and push-pull front should be easy for almost any GPU. The PSU shroud can be addressed other ways, but it is a larger footprint if it is going on top of your desk.

Hey, thanks for your answer and sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for the info over the fan design. Do you think then it might be better to buy a x3 pack like this and mount them on top and back, having in total 6 led fans, and then keeping the original from the H100i v2 mounted behind the radiator for push-pull? The corsair led controller of the box can take up to 6 RGB fans for the light effects no?

But that would make a total of 8 ventilators, too many to control with the motherboard I guess right?

As for the space, I have no problem. So I guess the 570x would be the safe way to go.

Thanks again!

PS: is there a way to adapt the color of the fan LED's according to how warm the CPU is? So in just a blick on what color the box is displaying, you would be able to see how warm the CPU is getting? Thanks ;)

The 460 & 570 come with 3 SP120 RGB fans for the front opening. Adding 3 more to the top and back would be a good addition, both in terms of fan design and case aesthetics. Those fans will be significantly less noisy while still moving more air than the radiator specific SP120L grey. Fair warning, the SP/HD RGB series is bright. These are not your typical LED fans with 3 or 4 LEDs. These have 12 and there is no off switch, other than disconnecting them from the light hub. The controller is a physical in-line remote control, although you also have one as part of both the above cases. There are number of colors and pattern you can shuffle through.

Unfortunately, tying the LED colors to CPU temperature or something similar would require software integration with the motherboard. This fan system does not work in that way. It may be possible to do this with LED strips using the Corsair Lighting Node, but I have not seen anyone discuss this. Perhaps someone else with the Node than add to the post.

You should have enough motherboard connectors, provided you are not going with a mini-ITX board. 1 x rear, 1 x 2 top (splitter), 1 x 3 front 120's (3-way splitter), Pump 2 x SP120L (if needed). You could also combine the top and rear onto a 3 way splitter. Normally, I would want separate control, but in a front intake radiator system, you likely end up running the top and rear at the same slow to moderate speed. You don't strictly need to put another set of fans on the behind the radiator in push-pull. It may or may not help with temperatures. It may or may not be aesthetically pleasing. However, it is possible without any great compromise. The SP120 RGB fans that come with the case are 3 pin DC and will not be controllable from the pump. They must be powered and controlled from the motherboard. This is not a great loss. The alternative would be stripping out all the SP120 RGB and replacing them with 6 HD120 (4 pin PWM). That is a costly venture. You cannot mix the two types of fans on the lighting controller. It's all one or the other.

Archived