Corsair Community

Air 540 fan set up.

Jordan.P

Since owning my air 540 I have had 3 x 120mm intake fans in the front of the case and now I am wondering if it would be better to change that and go for 2 x 140mm intakes. Would it be worth it to change for this case?

Current intake fans are 3 x Corsair AF 120mm fans with the changeable coloured rings. was thinking of going to the ML fans from corsair.

Generally speaking, 3x120 will always win out over 2x140 in terms of airflow in front the 540. The advantage of 2x140 is you get a good amount of airflow, but 2x140@900 rpm will be quieter than 3x120@1400-1500 -- generally an equivalent amount of airflow. In terms of maximum airflow, you might be able to keep pace with 2xML140's, but to do so you would need to run the 1700+ RPM speed. You do not want to run 140mm fans that fast on that case (or most any case). Once you get past 1100-1200 rpm with 140mm fans, those front 120mm mounting flanges start to have a very noticeable affect on the sound. It will be tremendously loud, multi-spectrum noise.

The reason to switch to 2x140 would be to go for a silent set-up. Use quiet fan designs and take comfort in knowing 90 cfm vs 120 cfm won't cause a meaningful rise in case temperature for most people.

You didn't say why you would like to make the switch. If cooling and airflow is a priority, stick with 120x3. This is a better set-up for people with SLI or a toasty 1st Gen Samsung 950 in the front. I would get as much as 6-8C difference in m.2 temperatures between 3x120 and 2x140, mostly due to the fan mount locations and airflow focus. If you are having temp problems with something, a more direct focus fan (flatter, thicker blades) might help direct the airflow at a particular component. Also, taking the front dust filter off will help as well.

Archived