Corsair Community

Safe temperature for SP Fans?

Quad5Ny

I'll be really quick as its 2 in the morning and I just finished a rig update.

GTX 1080Ti + 120mm AIO cooler + 120mm->140mm adapter + Purple SP140 = Very Cool GPU but VERY HOT FAN :roll:

Is it safe to run the SP series at 60c for 5-6 hours a day, every day? :confused:

Tweaked the fan curves to a minimum, basically the point where the GPU turbo boost clocks will stay stable. So 77-78c.

But that actually has me quite a bit concerned about the fan as the metal grill I have over it is so hot that I can't touch it.

But I mean people run rads in Push-Pull all the time, surely the fans are rated to take a beating?

Even if your coolant temperature is 60C, that does not mean the fan is also 60C. Presumably, some heat is conducting from the radiator to the 120/140 adapter (metal?) and then to the fan. However, the contact point would be the plastic frame on the fan and this should have no affect on operation at all. Whatever the temperature of the fan, it still benefits from airflow and the magnets and bearings should be unaffected by the temperature of the coolant. Everyone who uses a radiator fan combination is in this position.

If you don't like the adapter shroud heating up, a rubber or neoprene gasket between the radiator and the shroud might cut down on some of heat transfer.

Archived