Corsair Community

Corsair 3000/3200Mhz DDR4 and Asus R5E Mobo

maximumnoise

Hi guys, have intel 6900k and Asus Rampage V extreme USB 3.1 X99 Mobo,

tried Corsair dominator 3000mhz ram and it changes the cpu strap and bclk to 125, not suitable. Does the 3200Mhz dominator ram leave the bclk/cpu strap at 100 or does it also change it to 125? i have sent multiple messages to corsair over the last week and just get a canned response saying they will get back to me.

Summing up, is 2666 the highest i can go? or does 3200mhz leave cpustrap and bclk at 100 when using xmp

Thanks guys

Daz.

Hi guys, have intel 6900k and Asus Rampage V extreme USB 3.1 X99 Mobo,

tried Corsair dominator 3000mhz ram and it changes the cpu strap and bclk to 125, not suitable. Does the 3200Mhz dominator ram leave the bclk/cpu strap at 100 or does it also change it to 125? i have sent multiple messages to corsair over the last week and just get a canned response saying they will get back to me.

Summing up, is 2666 the highest i can go? or does 3200mhz leave cpustrap and bclk at 100 when using xmp

Thanks guys

Daz.

Yes, the 100 strap is the natural fit on 3200. Going back to 100 will get adaptive voltage back. You have a couple of options.

1) It is likely the 3000 kit you have will run 3200 in your current set-up. I am assuming your kit is 15-17-17-35@3000. Relax it one notch and try 16-18-18-37@3200 to start. BW-E is much better with the higher frequencies, so this should not be too difficult.

2) They took the BIOS locks on the strap some time ago. You should be able to manually change the strap back to 100, even when on 2800 or 3000. This requires you to manually set the primary timings, DRAM voltage, etc., but you often end up doing that anyway. XMP is not exactly the one click and done setting it was previously and you need to be aware of other values it may change. On the higher frequencies, some of the board programmed offsets for System Agent voltage can be extreme. Incidentally, both this and the Strap determination are Asus decisions.

3) Send it back and get a 3200 kit. I would certainly try to manually bump your current kit up first since the only theoretical advantage would be the "one click" XMP setting, although as mentioned it rarely works out that way. You didn't mention capacity, but assuming 4x8GB there really isn't anything to be gained. The limited edition C14 kits are long gone and most others will be 3200C16 -- something I think your current kit can do.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm running the Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333 on a Rampage V E10, and enabling XMP in auto changed the strap to 125. Currently OC'd at 3000 MHz and running very stably, however I plan to change it to 3200 and manually set strap back to 100 when I get a chance, per c-attack's advice. I'll post back the results after. CPU is 6950 Xtreme 10-core.

Archived