Corsair Community

Instability issue

zlack3r

I currently have 4 sticks of 512M XMS3200 CL2 memory in my possession. 3 have tested fine with Memtest86 and have provided great system stability at rated settings. One is causing me some issues

I ran into some minor stability issues on one system lately and decided to run MemTest86. Intel 865GBFL motherboard with latest BIOS update. 200mhz FSB 1:1 with a 3.0C northwood. Lots of cooling within an Antec case. BIOS settings were set to the memorys rated 2-3-3-6 latencies at 2.6v. I initially tested with 2 sticks of ram installed and was greeted with 500~ errors after one pass.

Testing each module individually...

I removed one stick and Memtest gave 0 errors with one stick installed. I removed the "good" stick of ram and re-installed the "second/bad module" I again received 500~ errors. Voltage was increased to 2.7 and produced 450 errors. latency was reduced to 3-3-3-6 and again errors dropped slightly. 400~ errors. 3-4-4-8 settings produce 300~ errors. Errors came in tests 5 and 7.

Since this is my main system and i would prefer to be as stable as possible, i removed 2 other sticks of Corsair XMS (also 3200) i had in a Soltek SFF system and installed them in my main system. Memtest ran 4 passes with 0 errors with the two sticks from the Soltek system. I then installed the "bad" stick of XMS in the soltek and for laughs again ran Memtest. Same problem with errors (also played with BIOS voltage and latency settings on this system with the "bad" stick of memory).

Cliff Notes - Memtest86 tested on 2 motherboards with multiple latency and voltage settings and provides at LEAST 300 errors. Any suggestions besides an RMA?

Thanks,

Rob

• Corsair Employees

Please use this as a reference:

TwinX1024 or TwinX512-3200C2

CPU Freq: 200 MHz

Dim Voltage: 2.8 Volts

DRAM Clock: 200 MHz/1:1/100%

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

Archived