Corsair Community

Bad ValueSelect 512MB PC2700 DDR Module

DarkWombat

So, I came home from Fry's and installed this bad boy into my computer and Windows XP couldn't boot. It just kept restarting after it completed loading at the screen with the XP logo and the blue bar moving. After a few restarts I shut down and took out the memory module and tested the two previous ones I had. There was a 256mb PC2100 stick and a 256mb PC2700 stick, and I had intended to replace the pc2100 stick with the new Corsair one. After trying again with both the Corsair PC2700 stick and the other PC2700 stick installed, the same restarting problem kept occuring. Fortunately I had a floppy lying around with Microsoft's memory tester software and I rebooted off the floppy to see if the new memory module was the problem.

Just before I left to go to Fry's today (where I purchased the Corsair memory module), I scanned the two memory modules that I already had, and they came up with no problems. Scanning the Corsair module with the other PC2700 module I had gave me two failed tests in the first pass. After that I quit and shut down and took out the Corsair module and went to see how I could get a replacement stick. I'm pretty sure it's the memory module that's the problem; my computer was just fine earlier. Also, I purchased a 450 watt PSU to replace my inadequate 330 watt PSU that came with my Enermax case, so it shouldn't be power issues. So now I'm running with the two modules I had before I got the Corsair--the PC2100 module and the PC2700 module. Any suggestions on what else could be causing the problem, aside form a bad memory module?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, I have, and I got the same problem: Computer kept restarting when attempting to boot. Safe mode has the same problem, as does every other mode. Because the problem does not occur with the memory not installed, I am pretty sure the memory is causing the problem. There shouldn't be any motherboard issues with it either, because it's only a PC2700 module, not a PC3200 module, and for those I have to check the Gigabyte website to make sure a certain module is compatible, since only certain brands will work with my current motherboard.

The old PC2700 module I've got that I want to add the Corsair memory to (as well as replace the PC2100 module with) is a generic module with a heatsink. Yes, I know, generic isn't the best, but it was cheap and it's been doing fine. There shouldn't be any reason why the Corsair module WOULDN'T work unless there was a problem with the Corsiar module itself, because I can't boot with only the Corsair installed anyways.

I'm going to go down to Fry's next weekend and complain to them, I think it was there fault anyways. They may have the best selection and prices for any electronics retail store, but they're not known for great service or care. I'm not blaming Corsair for anything either. Stuff happens, I'm just annoyed that of all the bad memory modules that manage to slip by, I get to be the one on the receiving end :laughing:

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB and load Setup/Optimized default settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

VS512MB333

*if you don't see some of the settings, please hit CTRL+F1*

CPU Freq: 133 MHz (266 FSB)

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 125% or 2:3 or 166

Resulting Frequency: 166 MHz (333 FSB)

Memory Timing: User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

SDRAM Command Rate: 2T

Bank Interleaving: 4 Banks/Enabled

SDRAM Burst Length: 4 Beats

DDR Reference Voltage: 2.7 or (+.2) Volts

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

All other settings are motherboards defaults

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

Well, I put only the Corsair module in, changed the BIOS settings (at least those which matched at least somewhat to what the RamGuy had stated in his post), and tried to see how far I could get into Windows without any problems. Starting Windows normally had the same issue: it would reboot when the loading screen disappeared, but going into safemode got me a bit further: Windows would load up to the point where the "SAFE MODE" words appeared on all 4 coners of the screen, and the mouse cursor showed, but everything was frozen.

I restarted and ran MemTest, and within 5 seconds it was displaying a handful of read/write errors, by the 3rd test of Pass 1 it was ticking up into the thousands of errors. They were all at around the 250MB range, possibly could have gotten farther, but that probably means that only a couple chips are bad. Still, those couple chips have some necessary addresses that Windows needs, and that it can't read/write to. I don't know if there are any other possibilities other than it's just a bad memory module.

Ok, so I went to Fry's, got a replacement module, came home and set it up, Windows was still rebooting. I scanned with memtest, and this time there were no errors....phew! So I changed a few BIOS settings (adjusted them again as the RAMGUY said) and then I realized that the BIOS issue was caused by using the Top Performance setting. Disabling this solved the rest of the issues, although all the Top Performance setting really did was just bump up my bus speed from 133 mhz to 136 mhz. After disabling the Top Performance setting and then setting the bus speed back to 136 mhz, things were still fine. So that solves that. I'm still positive that the previous module was defective, since testing with this module showed no errors. Thanks for the help =)

Oh, and XP runs even faster now, so this memory upgrade was not in vain after all. I'm now running 768 mb of DDR Ram at its full potential at PC2700 speed, as opposed to running 512 mb of DDR at PC2100 speed, because of the slower 256mb module that was in earlier. Now that that's removed, everything is nice.

Archived