Corsair Community

Help with CPU Temps

ImtheBest

I'm still on 2nd gen i7 2600k and finally got around to putting H110i GT on. And i got new motherboard but it didn't go so well the USB3 plug was stuck in the slot and i didn't even push down that hard and when i tried pull back up it snapped off which confuses me Also got around to putting my new case up 780T G black case.So anyway had to use my one i was using Z77 AsRock OC. But i think when i plugged the USB3 in it did same thing so i just left it in. If you guys know way to get it out when i change motherboards let me know. But the issue today is my CPU temps On my H110i i just used thermal paste from local store from me as they said it was really good. didn't get Arctic silver like i used before so not sure if there is deference. But i want to know what the main CPU temp and whats good temp for this CPU right now the package says 35c to 36c and loud is 2%. so is that the main CPU temp in Link software.

Also running Windows 10 64bit and for some odd reason when it was doing updates it throtted up to 50c but came back down and sometimes it gos to 45c.Want to know if this is ok. I also got the new 1070 FTW2 from EVGA thats in now.Until i can get ne gen cpu and mobo i'm out guys. Thank you for your help all in advance.

50C seems about normal for GTA V, but of course this very setting specific. As for the Windows update process, a lot of people were seeing some high CPU use related to that this week. Whether it is a bug or intended is another matter, but you can't use that as a measuring stick.

If you are concerned about the temps, you need to run a controlled test. Try Intel XTU. It's free and relatively low load test. The loading is even and resembles a sine wave, so if you start seeing jagged jumps, you know something is off. Before you begin, go to the settings wrench and change the line graph to display your individual cores. Package temp is not usually a helpful metric for others. It is too CPU specific and sometimes scales in strange ways. Focus on the individual core temperatures. 5-10 minutes is enough to establish general cooler function. If there is a contact problem or something else, it will become apparent almost immediately and you can stop.

Don't worry about the TIM. The difference between best and worst is about 2C, so this is not a factor in your results.

50C seems about normal for GTA V, but of course this very setting specific. As for the Windows update process, a lot of people were seeing some high CPU use related to that this week. Whether it is a bug or intended is another matter, but you can't use that as a measuring stick.

If you are concerned about the temps, you need to run a controlled test. Try Intel XTU. It's free and relatively low load test. The loading is even and resembles a sine wave, so if you start seeing jagged jumps, you know something is off. Before you begin, go to the settings wrench and change the line graph to display your individual cores. Package temp is not usually a helpful metric for others. It is too CPU specific and sometimes scales in strange ways. Focus on the individual core temperatures. 5-10 minutes is enough to establish general cooler function. If there is a contact problem or something else, it will become apparent almost immediately and you can stop.

Don't worry about the TIM. The difference between best and worst is about 2C, so this is not a factor in your results.

What do you mean about this im confused to what to do. "Before you begin, go to the settings wrench and change the line graph to display your individual cores"

I was looking at a video and it shows you just press cpu stress test and it will say pass if good. SO i'm confused. It also has gpu graphics one also and you let it run and say pass. I don't want to mess up

You are trying to gather temperature data, not pass a stress test. In the default configuration, it will show "CPU temp" only and that is not all that useful. Go into the settings and check the boxes so it will show cores 1-4 (or 0-3).

The XTU utility is very easy to "pass". That is not the ojective. You expressed concern about the temperature and we need a repeatable load to measure it. Gaming and Windows update are not consistent or all that predictable. Make sure you are not using the Benchmark part of the program.

Close the dialog box.

Click the blue wrench in the top right corner of the line graph at the bottom of the app. When you check the individual cores, they will show up on the graph.

Check box "CPU Stress Test" in the top left.

Run for 5 or 10 minutes. Doesn't really matter. If there is a problem it should be apparent immediately.

That looks just fine. I don't think you have any cooling issues and Windows update was an aberration.

I am not sure I can help with USB problem, but you shouldn't worry about the temps.

what USB problem? i don't think i said anything about USB. Thanks for your help c-attack you are awesome very helping me if i had 1million dollers i would send you a cut:bigeyes:

Archived