Corsair Community

What cooler?

Simex207

Hi I recently put together my own gaming PC and it all worked out perfectly, except for one small detail, I ordered the wrong cooler, I got myself an Hydro Series H115i, which I then realized wouldn't fit inside my case, a spech-alpha mid-tower, along with my other parts, mainly the motherboard. Anyway, I am still able to return the cooler and get my money back, but I still want a liquid cooler in my PC and I want to get some advice on what might fit best. I was either thinking a Hydro Series H80i v2 (a single radiator) to put in the top of the case, or a smaller dual radiator like the Hydro Series H100i v2 and put it in the front of the case (or at the top if it actually were to fit) But I want some advice and suggestions from someone with a bit more knowledge than me. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
The 7700K seems to be fairly inefficient at cooling (poor thermal contact/compound between the cores and the lid) so I would go for the largest cooler that you can fit into your case, which appears to be a 240mm one mounted in the front, preferably pulling air in, with 2 fans on the top and 1 on the back as exhaust. Make sure that you check that it will all go together, including checking the length of your gpu.

The 7700K seems to be fairly inefficient at cooling (poor thermal contact/compound between the cores and the lid) so I would go for the largest cooler that you can fit into your case, which appears to be a 240mm one mounted in the front, preferably pulling air in, with 2 fans on the top and 1 on the back as exhaust. Make sure that you check that it will all go together, including checking the length of your gpu.

I'm not sure if I'll fit any fans on the top though due to the motherboard, it has a built in cooling for certain components which take up a little extra space on top unfortunately. However a 240 mm in the front could work, do I really need more than the standard fan on the back as exhaust? Also why is it better for it to pull the air in, instead of the opposite?

You may get away with just using the rear fan, it depends how much heat (if any) that your gpu puts into the case and how good the airflow is. If you get fairly static air in the case you may need more exhaust fans.

I suggest using the cooler as an intake

a) because the traditional cooling method is cool air in through the front and hot air out through the top/back.

b) If you are going to have it there, you may as well pull cool air in over the radiator and keep it as cool as possible. This will, of course raise the internal temp by a few degrees, but as long as your airflow is good, it shouldn't matter, which is why I suggested a fan or 2 in the top.

This is fairly general advice as I have not used the Spec-Alpha, but I can see no reason why these suggestions shouldn't work, maybe c-attack will see this thread and offer his usual excellent advice.

You may get away with just using the rear fan, it depends how much heat (if any) that your gpu puts into the case and how good the airflow is. If you get fairly static air in the case you may need more exhaust fans.

I suggest using the cooler as an intake

a) because the traditional cooling method is cool air in through the front and hot air out through the top/back.

b) If you are going to have it there, you may as well pull cool air in over the radiator and keep it as cool as possible. This will, of course raise the internal temp by a few degrees, but as long as your airflow is good, it shouldn't matter, which is why I suggested a fan or 2 in the top.

Ah I see, hmm, I think I'll just dump it in a bucket of ice water to cool it :sunglasse

Jokes aside, thanks for the tips, I think I'll start with just using the backfan and if needed I could add atleast 1 fan on top, might fit 2.

Experimentation is good, if the one fan doesn't work, you can, as you rightly say, add more. If you do any stress testing, do not use Prime95 use something else, I think Intelburn works better. Personally, I've stopped stress testing in favour of actually using the computer and seeing how stable it is.

Archived