Corsair Community

MSI K7N2 DELTA2 & Corsair XMS compatibilty issues

Qualia

I really hope someone here can help me with my problem. Recently I purchased a MSI K7N2 DELTA2-LSR to replace a Soyo motherboard that I had purchased and had problems with (stop errors when installing windows). I tried contacting Soyo's tech support to help me with my problem and I got no answer so I refuse to buy another product from them. I installed everything on the MSI motherboard just fine. I turned on the computer to install the OS and I got nothing on the screen. The motherboard seemed to be powered okay because all the fans and drives were working. I tried to replace as many parts as possible starting with the most obvious, the video card. I still got nothing. After swearing up and down a storm that I would never buy a MSI product again, I went on some forums and did some searching and found out that this motherboard does not like Corsair XMS (CMX512-3200C2PT) memory even though it clearly states on MSI and Corsair's website that it is compatible. The Corsair memory was used in other machines so it is not bad memory. So I swapped the memory out with a stick of PC2100 from my sisters Dell machine and got the computer to work. After I installed the OS with no problems I updated the Bios to the most recent in hopes that would take care of the memory problem. But when I put the Corsair memory back in I got the same problem. I tried putting the memory in all three slots and still nothing will appear on the screen. So basically my question is what is deal with compatibility with this motherboard and Corsair memory? Eventually I am going to have to give the PC2100 back and I don't own any other type of memory and I really do not want to take a step downward in memory speed just to get the motherboard to work. So I would really appreciate some help or at least a response.

i have a MSI K7N2 Delta2 and im running Corsair XMS Dual channel1024 2x512

C2PT ram and i had to make sure the ram was position probly in the board, if your ussing one stick the ram has to be in the first slot or it wont work, and also i had to download the newest version of the bios in order for it to accept the gig and the timmings before that it would accept the times and nothing was working proper. So you have to get the exact bios up date for you board and then flash it and if your not comfortable with doing that have a friend that is. and then it should work fine and you give back your sisters slow ram

I finally got the Corsair memory to work with the MSI motherboard. This is what I did. Using compatibale memory (PC2100 in my case) to get into the bios, I first switched the voltage setting to 2.8v (the default is 2.6v) but that did not work. So I changed it to 2.5v and it worked. But the problem after that was it showed the memory was only running at 166 or PC2700. So I had to go back into the bios to change some of the auto settings for the memory to get it to run at 200 or PC3200. Now I hope it remains stable.

Can you tell me the complete part# of our module?

Corsair

CMX512-3200C2

XMS3202 Rev 1.2

RamGuy,

They are Corsair CMX512-3200C2PT XMS3202 Rev 1.1 and Corsair

CMX512-3200C2PT XMS3202 Rev 4.2 both bought from zipzoomfly.com. The v1.1 was bought 2 years ago. The problem I have now is the computer constantly locks up. I tried everysetting i could think of to get it to work. So I gave up and threw the the v.1.1 with the v.4.2 in my Shuttle XPC SN41G. I did not expect them to work together because of the different versions but it its runng dual channel perfectly in my Shuttle XPC SN41G. As for the MSI board, I have no Idea what to do. Its just frustrating.

In the Shuttle are you using the onboard video or a video card?

IIRC, that particular shuttle maxes out the memory / fsb @ 333 Mhz when using onboard video.

After giving up on the MSI board I threw my ATI 9500 PRO back in the Shuttle XPC. The only thing I did not put back in the Suttle is the sound card, so right now I am using onboard sound. The Shuttle seems to work fine with the Corsair memory in dual channel, which I am very suprised but it is the MSI board that is giving me the headache. I got the MSI board because for some reason an Athlon XP 3000+ (333) does not want to work with the Shuttle XPC even though it says on Shuttle's website that it can. I tried contacting Shuttle support back in November and just like Soyo's Tech Support I got no response. I actually have to underclock the the 3000+ to get to work with the Shuttle but it did not want to remain stable. Right now I have an Athlon XP 2100+ in the Shuttle.

• Corsair Employees
I would not suggest mixing these modules in a dual channel MB, as they are made with different IC's and may not be stable. But you can try and set the timings to Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts with the modules installed so they are in songle channel.

Archived