Corsair Community

Timings Problems

shutdown

Hi,

after having my Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2PRO (rev 2.1) for long now, I just noticed something very, very special:

They are said to be CL2.0, but Corsair says to run them in a AMD system with 2.5-3-3-6 Timings only. This is what I did all the time - until yesterday.

I had a system crash (though I believe it was not a problem with the hardware I wanted to know) and had to turn off power completely.

Afterwards my CMOS data got lost and I reset it myself.

But I did a little mistake in the timings: I chose 3-3-3-6 instead of 2.5-3-3-6.

As far as I know this makes the RAM work a bit slower - and should definitely NOT cause crashes or something like that.

But it did - my Linux crashed after about one minute, Windows crashed immediately with the well known BSOD... :(

I ran memtest86+ for about 2 hours on the System, but the RAM seems to be pretty healthy.

So does anyone know why my computer's operating systems crash after setting the RAM to 3-3-3-6 (or something else like 3-x-x-x, I tried) timings?

I really ever thought this would make the RAM work faster instead of make it work worse... :confused:

Edit: It might be interesting for you to know about the other hardware I am using in my system: My system @ nethands

Shutdown

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

If you had a look at my system @ nethands, you would already know ;)

But to not make it more complicated, here are the details about my system you wnted to know:

Mainboard: Abit NF7-S v2.0 (BIOS D27)

FID 11, FSB 210 MHz (never had problems with this...the system works primestable and without errors in memtest86+ for about half a year now with this settings)

So CPU speed is 2310 MHz, VCore is 1575 mV (because it's an XP-M I can go that low without errors).

My Chipset gets 1600 mV (nVidia says 1500 mV but Abit set it to 1600 mV for default), the RAM works fine with 2750 mV.

If I am only surfing or doing "office" work at the computer, I lower the CPU speed to 1375 MHz (125x11) and the VCore to 1100 mV. So the CPU and RAM can relax a little bit from gaming or compiling. ;)

There's not much more to say I think...the memory runs synchronous to FSB (1/1 or something similar - set it to "auto")

The CPU Disconnect Function is disabled in the BIOS but gets enabled by my operating system (Linux) after booting.

FSB and AGP Spread Spectrum are disabled for a little more performance (what the hell do I need electromagnetic compatiblity for :D ) and execpt the CPU and FSB nothing got overclocked by me...and the CPU still needs less VCore than a stock XP 3200+ so I don't worry about the health of anything in my computer.

PCI and AGP cards are not affected by the higher FSB because my nForce2 chipset.

My CPU and Northbridge are watercooled - but I really enjoy a completely cooled computer, so I got 13 additional fans in my case - one 80mm fan cools only my RAM, so I am sure that this is no overheating effect.

My southbridge is passive air cooled (I am using an old Pentium I cooler for this).

On top of that I installed heatsinks for passive air cooling on the Mosfets and the chip regulating the Voltage of the CPU. Stable running computers are basically good cooled computers I think. :D

THANKS FOR YOUR FAST RESPONSE!

Shutdown

• Corsair Employees

please make sure that you install the memory modules on either slots 1&3 or 2&3 and also have the latest BIOS installed for your MB, load Setup/optimized default settings and try the following BIOS settings;

TwinX1024 or TwinX512-3200C2

Softmenu Setup

CPU Freq: 210

DRAM Clock: 210

CPU/Memory ratio: 1:1

Memory or Dim Reference voltage: 2.8/2.85 Volts

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

Advanced/Chipset

Configure Dram timing by SPD: Disabled/User define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

All other settings should be set to default settings!

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

The most current BIOS is D27 - I am using it.

My memory is installed in slots 2 & 3 (counted with 1 as the one next to the cpu)

Most settings were already set as you said, I only had to increase the RAM Voltage from 2.75 V to 2.8 V.

memtest86+ runs stable for hours, Prime95 runs stable for hours.

Everything works fine with that configuration, but as I try to set the memory to CAS Lat 3, the system does no longer run stable for more than 2 minutes. In most cases it locks up before you are able to log in.

Do you know why the memory refuses to work with CAS Lat 3 settings? (Every other timing settings as RAS-CAS, Row Precharge and Active to Precharge Delay do not affect this in any way, I tried)

Shutdown

PS: Am I right if I think that higher latencies should definitely NOT cause problems?

Not that I can think of, but something in the back of my mind is nagging me that there is a certain situation that I've heard of that has, can't remember though, may just be that I'm tired combined with responding to posts here for like 3 and a half hours straight :)

So you don't have an idea what might be wrong or what I may do to make it work the way I want it, do you?

As this seems to be not a problem with the memory (the memory seems to be only one part of the problem), I wrote an eMail to Abit asking if they know about issues with the NF7-S and any kind of Memory running with CAS Lat 3.

If you got any other idea please tell me!

And thank you guys for the support!

Shutdown

• Corsair Employees
This symptom or problem only occur if you have the first revisions of our 3200C2's modules, which if set to CAS 3 settings; it will either not boot up the system, or locks it up! The revision numbers of these modules are revision 1.1, which is using BH5 chips.

So right now I can tell you that these problems occur with your memory revision 2.1, too...

I had revision 1.1 modules some time ago, but due to some problems (last chip of the second memory module was not working correctly) I took them where I had bought them and got a pair of brand new revision 2.1 modules which I am using at the moment - and with which I am having the problems we're talking about.

(I am 100% sure I got revision 2.1 modules because I can read this when I look inside my case throught my window in the case ;) )

So any idea what I could do? It's a really annoying issue...just makes me worry a lot :rolleyes:

But thanks again for your help!!!

Shutdown

Because I am using a AMD system I are currently happy with CAS 2.5 (2 won't work with AMD I think), but somewhen in the future I may want to go a little higher with my FSB.

Actually I bought my computer components for the posssibility of safe & stable overclocking to save the money for new components in the future...so I am a little sad about this issue, because the RAM won't work at higher FSB speeds without CAS 3 settings :(

So it looks like I'll have to sell the RAM I am currently owning and have to buy some other... (I am not sure if it will be Corsair memory again because I am really having a lot of trouble with it - my old RAM malfunctioned in a very strange way and now I got RAM that doesn't want to run with slow timings...this is strange, too...)

Does Corsair often have such strange issues with it's RAM? I never heard about something like that before...I always thought Corsair RAM is the best you can get for your computer, and a lot of the people I know never had problems with it.

Shutdown

I got another little question: What is the newest revision of the RAM I currently own and do you think those problems won't occur with it?

I am thinking about switching to the latest revision (if there is a later one than mine ;) ) to get rid of this little annoying issue.

What would you do if you were I and if you wanted to get the memory working at CAS 3 for further overclocking in the future?

I am a bit unsure what would be the best to do... :rolleyes:

Shutdown

OK, thanks for the help again. I'll test if the modules fail with other mainboards, too - if not I'll put them in another computer.

Maybe the RAM prices will drop a little bit within the next time because DDR2 is beeing used more and more...this stuff is way too expensive at the moment if you want to buy new RAM and if the old works ok for the moment.

Shutdown

I got one last question: With what memory series did problems such as mine occur in the past? If I decide to buy new memory it would be great to know because I want to be 100% sure it will work perfectly - Corsair memory isn't the cheapest one you can get and I want to know what I get for my money :rolleyes:

Shutdown

• Corsair Employees
Most likely the memory modules that you have has an IC chip that wouldn't run on a CAS 3 setting, and again the only revision that I can think of that will not run with CAS 3 was the revision 1.1. Maybe the problem of your system is not really coming from the memory modules; it maybe something else, maybe MB or CPU topping out if over clocked on a certain speed!

I don't think it's the mainboard, cpu or something other - it's the memory AND something in my computer together.

I already tried other Corsair memory modules from another computer around - they work perfectly in my computer and my modules work pefectly in the other computer.

Maybe it's this special combination or something like that...already tried an older BIOS without any success.

(I can't keep those other modules in my computer because they are not mine :( )

I just feel like waiting for memory prices to drop a bit and then go to get some new modules after I found somebody who wants to buy my current modules (if they run with CAS 3 in his computer :p )

Thanks for your help again!

Shutdown

Archived