Corsair Community

Help! H100i v2, i7 6800K, socket 2011-v3

M2505

Hi,

I'm having some issues installing a new h100i v2 into an Asus Strix x99 gaming motherboard and would appreciate some help.

I have installed the cooler in accordance with the instructions (LGA 2011 screws into the motherboard - no backplate used), and fixed the pump unit to the motherboard with the provided thumb screws.

In the BIOS temperatures will hit 80 deg c if left alone, however if I press on the pump unit, temperatures will immediately drop to 36-40 deg.

I considered that the issue was with the intel mounting bracket (i.e. the front plate / retention ring) however no amount of pressure placed on the mounting points (i.e. where the the thumbscrews go) will change the temperature. The temperature only drops when light pressure is placed on the plastic pump unit. I removed the mounting bracket and re-seated it - this didn't have any impact.

I've also removed the cpu block and there was an even spread of thermal paste on the cpu.

Is it possible there is an internal issue in pump unit? i.e. between the pump and block and its a warranty issue?

There is also a considerable amount of play with the intel mounting bracket (you touch the pipes / plastic block and there's movement) - is there anyway to reduce this?

I've searched the forums and haven't been able to find any threads with this issue (most relate to a loose back plate - which I don't have here as this is a LGA 2011-3 build) Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

I have a H100i gtx on my x99 system and have had no such problems while using the factory Intel bracket for the last 18 months . My cooler seems to sit nice and flat making full contact with being slightly tighter than finger tight on the install .

You may want to inspect the copper plate for flatness or some sign of it being warped by checking with a ruler (or something similar) . Also note how the thermal paste is making contact the cpu (even if you must re-tim the unit with your on thermal paste ) . A re-tim of the thermal paste and reseating will give an good indication of how well the copper plate is making contact . May also want to check and make sure the copper plate is not loose in any way from the unit itself .

Make sure that you don't use too much Tim, somewhere around a grain of rice to a small pea is generally enough. If the temp goes down when you press the pump housing, that suggests a contact problem. Are the stand -off posts installed correctly? Is there anything catching the pump block and stopping it making proper contact?

I don't know, it is a bit strange. It's really hard to get a 2011-3 mounting wrong. You just drop it on and screw it down. From looking at pictures, I can't see any way for the mounting bracket to slip on the pump head and it doesn't have snap together clips like some of the older coolers.

I would contact Corsair Technical Support through the help ticket system. From what you are describing, it must be a contact issue. However, the short 2011 stand-offs only go in one way and I can't see how that would be the issue. It seems like the only possibility is the "fixed" mounting bracket on the pump head is not in the proper position and that is not something that is supposed to be adjustable.

Archived