Corsair Community

Memory test fails with cmx512-3200XL

Gorro

Hi, I've bougth a Twinx1024-3200XL. But one of the 512MB dimms fails the memory test., and WinXP cannot bootup. I've tried it alone and dualchannel, I've tried to move it(alone) into all the memory slots, but the memory always fails.. :(

I've noticed that the counter of test stops around 256000, and says memory tast fails. The other 512MB dimm instead works good.

My config is:

Athlon XP3200+ | Gigabyte 7N400Pro2(rev.2) latest bios FJ | 1x512MB Corsair CMX3200XL(the other dimm doesn't work) | Radeon 9800Pro 128MB (Dell edition) | Maxtor 6Y160M0 SATA

Hi, I've bougth a Twinx1024-3200XL. But one of the 512MB dimms fails the memory test., and WinXP cannot bootup. I've tried it alone and dualchannel, I've tried to move it(alone) into all the memory slots, but the memory always fails.. :(

I've noticed that the counter of test stops around 256000, and says memory tast fails. The other 512MB dimm instead works good.

My config is:

Athlon XP3200+ | Gigabyte 7N400Pro2(rev.2) latest bios FJ | 1x512MB Corsair CMX3200XL(the other dimm doesn't work) | Radeon 9800Pro 128MB (Dell edition) | Maxtor 6Y160M0 SATA

UPDATE--

I've done a memtest86 v3.2, results:

the worst dimm gives thousand of errors around 249-260MB immediatly

but in the better one I discovered several error too! test2 1error - test3 1error - test4 6errors - test6 10errors

OMG!

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB and load Setup/Optimized default settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

TwinX1024 or TwinX512-3200XL

CPU Freq: 200 MHz (400 FSB)

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Resulting Frequency: 200 MHz (400 FSB)

Memory Timing: User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 2T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T

DDR Reference Voltage: 2.8 Volts +.3 or +.2 (whatever is the highest that you can set it too)

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

All other settings are motherboards defaults

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB and load Setup/Optimized default settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

TwinX1024 or TwinX512-3200XL

CPU Freq: 200 MHz (400 FSB)

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Resulting Frequency: 200 MHz (400 FSB)

Memory Timing: User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 2T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T

DDR Reference Voltage: 2.8 Volts +.3 or +.2 (whatever is the highest that you can set it too)

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

All other settings are motherboards defaults

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

I have already done all these settings. I've also tried these sticks into another pc with an I875P chipset:

the stick that has those thounsand of errors(the worst blocking at 256MB) doesn't make boot at all that mainboard.

the other stick that seems working, gives 30 errors at 152.6MB at test 5.

So:

1 of those is totally not working, the other one gives error on memtest 1.40.

Tried both on Nforce2-400Ultra and Intel I875P

Yes, unless your reseller will help you with the RMA process.

Ok, so I'm waiting for the RMA number...

But what about the Custom? I hope that there r not problems with the american custom, and also that Corsais will cover fee just in case italian custom stop it when the good parts will come back.

Corsair pays for shipping back to you, and I've never heard of any custom problems with RMAs, albeit I'm not in the loop for that kind of info or anything.

May I know the kind of shipment choosed by Corsair for EU? FedEx? Or what?

We usually ship our packages to either UPS or Fed Ex 3 days, but I will be asking this question once our Customer Service department issues you your RMA number.

For me it's very important because since I'm in Italy I could get a custom fee(and sometimes it happened to me already), and I dont' wanna at all, so Corsair should cover this evenience or choose a shipment that doesn't make me pay a fee.

Archived