Corsair Community

Different revs

koitsu

RAM GUY:

I am suffering from this *EXACT SAME PROBLEM*, albeit on an Asus P4C800 Deluxe. I have recorded all of my attempted workarounds for this problem at the following site:

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86747

I have attempted to get the two v1.2 sticks exchanged by the vendor whom I purchased them from (ZipZoomFly), and all they did was "test" the memory, claiming it works fine and that I have to "take the compatibility issue up with Corsair Micro".

Should I simply fill out the online RMA form? And if so, how exactly should I word the problem at hand? Can Corsair actually send me v5.1 modules that are 100% identical to the ones I just purchased, or will I be given newer modules and need to send the v5.1 modules to Corsair as well?

Here's a transcript of his posts from ABX:

Greetings all.

For awhile (maybe 7 months now?) I've had 2 DIMMs of Corsair CMX512-3200C2 RAM (TwinX, in case you're wondering) installed in my system, running in dual-channel mode successfully. I have never overclocked the system, or tweaked with memory speeds in the BIOS. All of this time, I have seen the BIOS report dual-channel capabilities, claiming my ram was running at DDR400.

This week, I purchased 2 more DIMMs of Corsair CMX512-3200C2 RAM (again, TwinX), bringing the total system RAM amount up to 2GBytes.

Upon installing these DIMMs, I expected to see the BIOS report dual-channel capability, running at DDR400. Note that the i875P chipset does run RAM at DDR320 (16MHz below DDR333) if all 4 DIMM slots are populated, but every piece of documentation I've read says this is for PC2700 memory ONLY. My RAM is obviously PC3200.

What I ended up seeing in the BIOS was dual-channel capability, running at DDR320. This baffled me, since the DIMMs were supposed to all be the same. I took a closer look at them, and sure enough, the printed Corsair labels are identical, except for something in the upper right corner which looks like a PCB or EPROM configuration version number. My "older" DIMMs have "v1.2", my newer DIMMs have "v5.1".

I decided to install Sandra 2005 to find out what the hell was going on. Sandra's Mainboard Information icon returns the following information for my memory:

System Memory Controller
Error Correction Capability : ECC
Number of Memory Slots : 4
Maximum Installable Memory : 4GB
BANK0 - DIMM0 : Manufacturer0 PartNum0 SerNum0 AssetTagNum0 DIMM Synchronous DDR-SDRAM 512MB/64
BANK1 - DIMM1 : Manufacturer1 PartNum1 SerNum1 AssetTagNum1 DIMM Synchronous DDR-SDRAM 512MB/64
BANK2 - DIMM2 : Manufacturer2 PartNum2 SerNum2 AssetTagNum2 DIMM Synchronous DDR-SDRAM 512MB/64
BANK3 - DIMM3 : Manufacturer3 PartNum3 SerNum3 AssetTagNum3 DIMM Synchronous DDR-SDRAM 512MB/64

Chipset 1
Model : ASUSTeK Computer Inc 82875P,E7210 Memory Controller Hub
Bus(es) : ISA AGP PCI IMB USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 200MHz (800MHz data rate)
Maximum FSB Speed / Max Memory Speed : 4x 200MHz / 2x 200MHz
Width : 64-bit
HTT - Hyper-Threading Technology : Yes
IO Queue Depth : 12 request(s)

So far so good. However, things get more mysterious here:

Logical/Chipset 1 Memory Banks
Bank 0 : 512MB DDR-SDRAM 2.5-3-3-7CL 1CMD
Bank 1 : 512MB DDR-SDRAM 2.5-3-3-7CL 1CMD
Bank 2 : 512MB DDR-SDRAM 2.5-3-3-7CL 1CMD
Bank 3 : 512MB DDR-SDRAM 2.5-3-3-7CL 1CMD
Channels : 2
Speed : 2x 166MHz (332MHz data rate)
Multiplier : 5/6x
Width : 64-bit
Refresh Rate : 7.80µs
Performance Acceleration Technology : No
Power Save Mode : No
Fixed Hole Present : No

Note the "Speed: 2x166MHz (332MHz data rate)" line. However, the below is what REALLY worries me:

Memory Module(s)
Memory Module 1 : Corsair CMX512-3200C2 512MB 16x(32Mx8) DDR-SDRAM PC3200U-2533-600 (CL2.5 up to 200MHz) (CL2 up to 167MHz)
Memory Module 2 : Corsair CMX512-3200C2 512MB 16x(32Mx8) DDR-SDRAM PC3200U-333-650 (CL3 up to 200MHz) (CL2.5 up to 167MHz) (CL2 up to 133MHz)
Memory Module 3 : Corsair CMX512-3200C2 512MB 16x(32Mx8) DDR-SDRAM PC3200U-2533-600 (CL2.5 up to 200MHz) (CL2 up to 167MHz)
Memory Module 4 : Corsair CMX512-3200C2 512MB 16x(32Mx8) DDR-SDRAM PC3200U-333-650 (CL3 up to 200MHz) (CL2.5 up to 167MHz) (CL2 up to 133MHz)

Modules 1 and 3 are obviously the same, and Modules 2 and 4 are obviously the same.

Can someone PLEASE explain to me what's going on? I'm greatly confused, and I most definitely want to see DDR400 performance across all 4 of my DIMMs -- and the above looks pretty out-of-whack.

Thank you!

A follow-up to this issue:

I tried removing both the "v1.2" DIMMs from their slots (slot 1 and slot 3) to see if that made a difference. Instantly, the system came up reporting DDR400 dual-channel. I also ran Sandra 2005 in this configuration, and voila, everything looked correct (200MHz speed, DDR400, etc. etc.).

I then tried pulling out the "v5.1" DIMM in slot 4 and replacing it with a "v1.2" DIMM. The system came up reporting DDR320 dual-channel in the BIOS. I didn't bother trying Sandra 2005 at this point.

I should note that I DID try ignoring the SPD in the BIOS and configured the timings manually (chose CAS3, just in case), which made no difference. The BIOS continued to report DDR320.

I'm starting to think the older Corsair CMX512-3200C2 DIMMs ("v1.2") are rated for something incorrectly in their EPROM (SPD), or due to incompatibilitie between memory release versions, simply do not play well together. The SPD string of "PC3200U-2533-600" *really* bothers me in Sandra; what the hell is "2533?"

Does anyone know if Corsair is aware of this issue? Can the "older" modules been returned to Corsair for replacements, or should I just file an RMA with the place where I bought the "v5.1" modules and provide them the "v1.2" modules, asking for replacements?

• 2 weeks later...

I RMA'd the RAM, and everything went as planned. Today, I received the RMA replacements. Upon opening the box, I found that I had been shipped _v1.2_ replacements. No, not the same sticks as what I had shipped Corsair for RMA, but brand new v1.2 sticks.

This is *NOT* what I asked for.

I specifically asked for v5.1 RAM because the v1.2 sticks I was sold over a year ago _do not work_ with the v5.1 sticks I bought a few weeks ago. I documented this very, very well.

What a waste of shipping costs and time for both myself and Corsair.

Can we *PLEASE* get this issue resolved, now that Corsair has messed up my RMA? Do I file another RMA? Am I going to have to pay shipping costs *again*?

RMA # is R68880.

When applying for the RMA through the form, did you specify the revision change? If so, reply back to the RMA # email address again and state what happened. If not, then they were replaced with the same revision because of standard policy.

When applying for the RMA through the form, did you specify the revision change? If so, reply back to the RMA # email address again and state what happened. If not, then they were replaced with the same revision because of standard policy.

What do you think, dude? Of COURSE I specifically requested v5.1 DIMMs -- not stating this on the RMA form would've been pointless. It seems the RMA department doesn't bother following that section of the form (if you note, the area of the form is quite small, implying they don't intend for you to use it).

Do the modules match? And there is no problem with Rev 1.2 they are based on Winbond -5 Rev C IC's.

*sighs* The problem is this, and it's quite simple. Why is all of this requiring so much effort for people to understand?

2003 -- Bought a set of TwinX CMX512-3200C2 DIMMs. These DIMMs were labelled revision v1.2. DIMMs work fine in my system (dual channel, proper DDR400 speed, etc. etc.).

2005 -- Bought a set of TwinX CMX512-3200C2 DIMMs. These DIMMs were labelled revision v5.1. When combined with the DIMMs bought in 2003, system reports what I showed in my previous post (see Sandra statistics), re: improper memory speed, improper frequency, etc. etc. etc...

Tried forcing CAS3 -- system does not POST.

Tried pairing one v1.2 DIMM and one v5.1 DIMM. Same result as what I posted (re: improper memory speed, and so on).

Tried using only v5.1 DIMMs (only two however, i.e. 1GB RAM). RAM is reported properly, DDR400, etc. etc.. Works great.

Filed for RMA. Send Corsair my v1.2 DIMMs; RMA form asked for v5.1 DIMMs. I received back v1.2 DIMMs (but these were not the DIMMs I shipped Corsair, which means I was sent a new/replacement pair). This gets me ABSOLUTELY *NO WHERE*.

To repeat myself: the problem is that the v1.2 and v5.1 DIMMs _do not play well together_. When applying for my RMA, I even referenced this forum post (obviously it made no difference).

So AGAIN, how do you want go about dealing with this already-failed-once RMA? PLEASE send me v5.1 DIMMs that match the pair I purchased a few weeks ago.

Also:

I replied to the RMA Email I received, explaining this entire issue. I have yet to receive a response.

The Email came from <ADDRESS REMOVED>, and my Email reply went to this address as well.

If there is a more "general" technical support / RMA Email address, please provide it. In addition, you may want to contact your IT department and see about having your RMA workers' Email clients modified to use the "Reply-To:" header, specifying a Reply-To Email of the "general" technical support / RMA Email address, so that RMA representatives don't get "personalised" responses.

That's all.

Just received the reply:

Hi Jeremy,

We do not have any way to be sure what Version you will receive when

doing an RMA.

Best Regards,

<SIGNATURE REMOVED>

It was nice doing business with you all these years, Corsair, but sadly you won't be getting any more of my business. Off I go to eBay to sell the DIMMs I already have...

Best wishes -- and you can close this RMA.

What do you think, dude? Of COURSE I specifically requested v5.1 DIMMs -- not stating this on the RMA form would've been pointless. It seems the RMA department doesn't bother following that section of the form (if you note, the area of the form is quite small, implying they don't intend for you to use it).

Not a mind reader man. Yes, I pretty much assumed you had, however I'm not Carnac the Magnificent and as such posted both possibilities.

If there is a more "general" technical support / RMA Email address, please provide it. In addition, you may want to contact your IT department and see about having your RMA workers' Email clients modified to use the "Reply-To:" header, specifying a Reply-To Email of the "general" technical support / RMA Email address, so that RMA representatives don't get "personalised" responses.

Personally, I think personalized responses improve the customer service side of tech support, but that's just me. FYI, the "general" tech support email addresses are warranty and RMA @ corsairmemory.com.

Here's the 64K question: Did someone from Corsair specifically tell you directly that they would be replaced with a newer version? Yes, there are other threads on the boards where this has been done on occasion, but only after it was specifically approved beforehand.

• Corsair Employees

koitsu

First off I am sorry that you are not happy, but there seems to be some miss-understanding, and I would like to try and help you get this resolved.

Please call us at 888-222-4346 and Choose Option "2" that will take you to Tech Support and then ask for Ram Guy about a post and I will do my best to help you get this resolved!

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I have also had this problem very recently and I RMAed my memory (v5.1) and just got it back today (v4.3). It also does not work with v1.x. This is really a royal pain in the butt and waste of money. I need a v1.x OR a new version that is just as fast (CL2.5 @ 200mhz). This may mean PC3x00 (faster than PC3200) because I don't really feel like settling for slower timings.

Thanks!

Mike

RMA#: R76129

koitsu

First off I am sorry that you are not happy, but there seems to be some miss-understanding, and I would like to try and help you get this resolved.

Please call us at 888-222-4346 and Choose Option "2" that will take you to Tech Support and then ask for Ram Guy about a post and I will do my best to help you get this resolved!

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry, but we can only guarantee one set of Twinx modules in any MB's now days. They just do not play nice with mixing memory like they used to. And with most system all of the modules would need to be exactly matched especially with AMD64 as the memory controller is in the CPU. In addition, we are at the mercy of the major IC makers as far as Ram availability, and with most hardware you would have alternate sources to make a product. I do understand you’ alls frustration, but we have always suggested you get the memory you plan on using at the time you build your system. There is just no way we can guarantee a given IC maker would keep a product in production for the time we may want to use it. They will continually refine there Die’s to get more yield and when they do this it will some times change the SPEC of a given IC. The best we would be able to so with this is have you talk to our customer service in person or by email only and make it clear that this is the issue, and we will try and do what we can to help you, but this is not a warranty issue.

I don't have the Twinx I have straight CMX512-3200C2. I love the fact that these are marketed at CL2 but don't specify that that is only at 166mhz bus. The problem is simple, v1.x has the following: CL2.5 @ 200, CL2 @ 166. v4.3/v5.1 is: CL3 @ 200, CL2.5 @ 166, CL2 @ 133. Certainly a problem. At this point I'm glad I wasted 100 bucks on this stuff and the fact that the notion should be you buy RAM once, sort of defeats the purpose of upgrading or adding more memory when you may need due to a new cause. At this point, who in customer service should I talk to? And what possible options would I have?

Thanks,

Mike

I am sorry, but we can only guarantee one set of Twinx modules in any MB's now days. They just do not play nice with mixing memory like they used to. And with most system all of the modules would need to be exactly matched especially with AMD64 as the memory controller is in the CPU. In addition, we are at the mercy of the major IC makers as far as Ram availability, and with most hardware you would have alternate sources to make a product. I do understand you’ alls frustration, but we have always suggested you get the memory you plan on using at the time you build your system. There is just no way we can guarantee a given IC maker would keep a product in production for the time we may want to use it. They will continually refine there Die’s to get more yield and when they do this it will some times change the SPEC of a given IC. The best we would be able to so with this is have you talk to our customer service in person or by email only and make it clear that this is the issue, and we will try and do what we can to help you, but this is not a warranty issue.

• Corsair Employees

Mike,

You are looking at the SPD not the tested settings for the modules, and again all of our XMS C2 modules would have their SPD set to JEDEC defined values for the specific IC used to make that given part. And the tested settings would need to be manually set. In addition, this issue is a memory controller/chipset limitation not a memory problem. I think maybe a bit more research on your part may have helped to avoid this, but it happens, and you can call our Customer Service at 888-222-4346 and Dial "0" that will take you right to them. I am sure they will do their best to help you get this resolved.

I know they are the SPD values, if it was tested at CL2.5@200 then it fails. That's not the problem. IT could be a memory controller issue, although, that DIMM gets extreme hot and I'd suspect that is why it is failing. I'd suspect it gets hot because of the fact it is being pushed further than it should. Yeah research could always be done, but then again you buy a product that meets your requirements (at least the advertized) and is the same model as what you have, you'd expect it to work. Besides that the Corsair site isn't too useful either when it comes that research hence:

CMX512-3200C2

XMS3200 512MB 2-3-3-6 * 184 DIMM Black

* These parts support 2-3-3-6 latency on Intel platforms, and 2.5-3-3-6 latency on AMD platforms.

I don't see anthing that says CL3 @ 200 as the SPD. If I had known that I probably would not have bought it.

Mike,

You are looking at the SPD not the tested settings for the modules, and again all of our XMS C2 modules would have their SPD set to JEDEC defined values for the specific IC used to make that given part. And the tested settings would need to be manually set. In addition, this issue is a memory controller/chipset limitation not a memory problem. I think maybe a bit more research on your part may have helped to avoid this, but it happens, and you can call our Customer Service at 888-222-4346 and Dial "0" that will take you right to them. I am sure they will do their best to help you get this resolved.

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry Mike but this is posted in XMS Qualification and Testing along with the tested settings and make and model of MB we use to validate the modules. I would suggest you talk to Customer Service by phone or email only, as our RMA process is automated and we cannot order a specific revision, and when an RMA is received we will try and replace them with the same revision that's received. It's picked by the computer, so if you used the On-Line RMA request form no one would have even seen it.

Archived