Corsair Community

TWINX3200-XLPRO problems

kurfurst4

Hi,

Just changed over from a Asus A7N8X-E deluxe to a DFI Infinity Ultra and my ram is erroring all over the place. Tested module 1 in all three banks with memtest and got 48 errors(6 passes) in bank 1, 57 errors(6 passes) in bank 2 and 19 errors on the first pass on bank 3(decided not to go any farther as it wasn't going to get any better)

Now module 2 is a little better...15 on the first, 12 on the second and only 10 on the third...These tests were all done at 200fsb at 2.9v...at 2-2-2-5 which it is supposed to do at this setting...on a XP-M 2400 (200x9) 1800mhz....

Some thing you want me to try? Are they bad?

Yes I have had it at 2.9v on another mb.(Asus A7N8X-E deluxe with trats modded 1013 bios) I didn't want to test at a lower fsb than what I was going to be using and didn't want to oc the cpu right yet...200x9 is 1800 and the 2400 is rated for that...2.9v is the max the warranty withh support and max the mb will allow....this cpu has been 237x11..I know it will do it..

• Corsair Employees

Please install the modules on either slots 2&3 or 1&3 and make sure that you change the jumper from the default 1-2 setting to 2-3; have the latest BIOS installed for your MB, load Setup/Optimized default settings and try the following BIOS settings;

TwinX1024 or TwinX512-3200XL

CPU Freq: 200MHz (400 FSB)

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Resulting Frequency: 200 MHz (400 FSB)

Memory Timing: User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 2T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T

DDR Reference Voltage: 2.8 Volts

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

All other settings are motherboards defaults

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

I thought a XP-M 2400 was rated at 1800mhz and that is what I'm running it at...how could it be topped out? Granted default is 166x11...200fsb should not be problem for this cpu...

I swapped in a generic PC2700 stick of ram into slot 1 and at 200x9 ran it for 3 passes of memtest without 1 error...2.5-3-3-8 defaults loaded...something else?

The one stick of generic PC2700 loads WinXP 9 seconds faster than the two XMS sticks in slots 1-3 or 2-3....somethings wrong...

Okay, I flashed to the latest bios 11/19 and loaded optimised defaults. I still get errors in dual channel..With stick #1 there is 12 errors by the fourth pass in slot 1 and 3 and 10 in slot 2..with stick #2 there was 3 errors in slot 1 and 4 errors in slot 2 and 2 errors in slot 3 all in 3 passes..and windows loads alot slower than with the other bios... I think I am going to change back to 7/28 bios. My board doesn't seem to like this bios, though there are fewer errors.

• Corsair Employees

That would suggest maybe your CPU will just not over clock that high.

You might try these settings and see if the system will pass http://www.memtest.org. And be sure to adjust your CPU multiplier accordingly.

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T

Never mind....Since when won't a mobile cpu do 200fsb....just say no we don't want to help you and call it quits...I am not going to run the fsb at 166 so why....it wont do 200fsb at the 2-2-2-5 settings so it doesn't work..I flashed to a bios that doesn't work very well on my board and I hope it doesn't screw up flashing it back

I seen other post when the guy gives you no information other than it don't work and you tell him to rma it...mine has gone on for 10 posts and you are still fighting a dead horse

Never mind...saved yourself $200....cost you a customer

• Corsair Employees

Well you are welcome to try what ever you want, and I have no problem replacing your modules. However, there is no way I or anyone else can guarantee that all of the components you purchase will over clock. In addition, the settings I suggested were just to test the system to try and isolate what’s failing. If you just want to get them replace them by all means.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived