Corsair Community

Setting up the H100i v2 in the 460X RGB

Otellino

Hey all,

I wasn't sure whether to put this in Cooling or Cases, so please move this if the other section is more appropriate (Sorry!)

I'm looking to get the 460X RGB very soon. I have the H100i v2 CPU cooler, and I understand the consensus is to mount that at the front. My question is, aren't the included RGB fans in the 460 3pin? If so, what do I do about fan control/fan speed for the h100i v2, which uses PWM if I'm not mistaken?

Thanks in advance!

That is correct. They included SP120 GB are 3 pin DC fans and will be uncontrollable when connected to the H100i v2 pump directly. Two common ways to address this are: 1) take out all the SP120 RGB fans and replace them with PWM HD120 RGB. The built in case controller will no longer work. 2) Connect those front SP120 RGB fans directly to your motherboard and power and control them like any other fan, ignoring the H100i v2 control option.

Obviously, #2 is the easier, less expensive option. Also, when mounted as front intake, you may have other considerations for fan speed besides coolant temperature. Since that is the only intake on the case, a sustained or steady moderate speed decided by you may be more practical and useful than letting the cooler control it. You may also want to read through those threads in the cases section. There are quite a few nuances with the 460/570x. Just be mindful of the dates on the posts. The speculation started far earlier than availability. Anything before November 2016 is mostly guess work.

Thanks, c-attack! :)

That helps a lot, I appreciate the really clear answer. Method 2 will work fine for me, you're right about a sustained speed being better anyway, I completely neglected to think about it that way.

A final question (Though more case-related I guess) is, do each of the 3 fans that come in the 460X RGB need their own motherboard header? If so, I may need to get myself a fan hub.

Thank you :)

Yes, you will need to supply power and control for all three fans. The rated current draw is 0.30A x 3, which would be too close to the board standard 1.0A limit for one header. However, this very thorough review measures them at a much lower draw, possibly because the lighting is handled differently.

"The fan hubs are larger than average for 120 mm fans owing to the LEDs that need location and power distribution as well, measuring in at 1.78″ in diameter. Each fan is rated for 0.3 A (3.6 W), although do note that the LEDs are powered separately and from the PSU (via the fan LED hub). In practice, each fan consumed a max operation current draw of 0.137 A (1.64 W). The solder job for the 6 wires wasn’t bad, especially considering how close they are to each other."

You will need separate light control lines back to the RGB controller. Take a look at the review. It's about as detailed as you can get.

Archived