Corsair Community

Fan Placement Question

Zakkiel99

I have a question I have the Corsair Air740 Case with 3 Corsair ML120 Pro in front as intake 2 ML140s up top for Out 1 ML120 in back for out, and two ML140 bottom for In, My CPU is water cooled with the two top ML140's blowing air through radiator so its stays really cool the GPU an MSI 980 Ti also stays kool but I think the fans blow air out right into the bottom fans that are blowing in and I think its just throwing the hot air everywhere since my Case temperature is the only thing getting hot reaching 41 C. When not gaming the System temperature is about 29. Should I turn the bottom fans to blow air out to help the GPU fans blow that hot air out of the case, I read everywhere that the only outs should be the top and back?

I think your set-up is fine and it's the same as directional placements as I use. The fans on the underside of your ACX GPU are taking air from underneath the card and blowing it directly onto the circuit board. The air is 'released' out the sides and back, depending on specific card design. So, the bottom fans are not stealing air from it and the intake position would supply more air to the GPU.

However, the Ti is always going to be the hottest thing in the case. If you want to experiment by turning the bottom fans to exhaust, by all means do so. It is possible with a Ti more exhaust is always better.

Most motherboard temp sensors are right near the PCI-E #2 slot, so any heavy GPU heat is going to adversely affect that reading. It may not be indicative of the total case temperature. The only thing I am wondering about is the direction of your CPU radiator fans in the top. Your link is broken, but hopefully they are set to exhaust.

I'd be careful having too many fans as exhaust. There are holes in the case as well as other cracks that air escapes from. If you have too much exhaust, you'll have the potential for negative pressure ... more air blowing out than in. In that case, those cracks that the air escapes from will be the opposite ... and you'll get dust.

Having positive pressure, on the other hand, helps keep dust out of the system (as long as your fans are filtered). Furthermore, have exhaust on the top/top back works better to exhaust heat as the heat will naturally rise because ... physics.

You mentioned that the case temp is 41C ... where is that measurement being taken? If it's near the GPU, that will impact the temperature and isn't necessarily a cause for concern.

Archived