Corsair Community

VS1GB Kit and NForce2: issues with both DIMMs

bvlsmx5

Hello folks,

I have been researching both here and on the MSI forum (for my K7N2-Delta motherboard).

The basic synopsis is I have been testing both modules with MemTest, and here is what I have experienced

Each single module passes at both 166 and 200 MHz FSB (1:1) with the recommended 2.5-3-3-8 timing.

Running both modules at 166 Mhz passes MemTest

Running both modules at 200 Mhz fails MemTest in test 5. The lower the VDimm, the greater the errors. I have pushed it from the default 2.6v up to 2.8v (2.7 recommended, from reading these forums) and errors decrease, but are never 0 (lowest I got was 5 for one pass)

I have not experimented yet with FSB timings inbetween 166-200, but I can. I have relaxed memory timings to 3-8-8-11 and errors got worse, so back to the recommended 2.5-3-3-8

The only weakness of my new system is the power supply, which is not rated greater the 18a on the 12v rail. The system is not a gaming sysytem, so I am not looking to push anything past 200 Mhz FSB: just run it at the rated speed with clean memtest, with my Barton 3200 processor. I do have an antec Truepower 430 on order to test the PS (20a on the 12V raill, very well known stability in power, etc...).

I am looking for some input, other testing I can do, etc....I am not jumping on the 'my RAM is bad' bandwagon out just yet: I am an engineer, so I like to prove things before bothering folks.

I appreciate any assistance,

- Brian

That is one combination I have not tried, and will give it a shot.

Last night, I did a littl b-search method to figure out the breaking point.

with 2.5-3-3-8 and 2.7v, I was able to set the FSB up to 196 Mhz, and not see one error (only ran MemTest 1 run).

Setting FSB at 200 MHZ, results in 100 or so errors in test 5.

I find this to be quite strange. I will try 198 tonight, as well as 200

with 3-4-4-8 for giggles as well.

cheers,

- b

The 3-4-4-8 didn't seem to have an effect.

I also put in a new Antec 430 today, which is an excellent

PS and quite a bit more powerful then the RAIDMAX it

replaces (key being higher rated power on each rail,

above MSI's recommendation for the Nforce mobo)

I still cannot get Memtest to work error

free with both DIMMs installed from this kit. 196 is

as high as I can put the FSB to be (1:1 ratio) and

not get any errors.

Nudge it up, and errors occur in Test 5.

Any advice here? I am about out of ideas save trying the RAM

in another system, which introduces other variables....

- b

Can you tell me the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

Sure thing. Its techically a AMD Barton 2500+ CPU, but its quite stable at its 3200+ flavor, which is 11x200. Temps are just fine, but it is being over clocked a smidge. I am not aware of memory timing issues with OC'ing myself...the proc generally works or does not. The computer has been very stable, and run Prime95 for hours with no BSoDs. I don't run games, so I can't comment on that.

Using MSI's Core BIOS, I can manipulate a lot of settings on this NForce board. FSB ratio is 1:1, and I have altered the settings as recommended by you, and tested other (slower) RAM settings.

The default settings in the BIOS would have AGP at 1.5v, DRAM at 2.5v and memory set to AUTO.

I have altered this as you suggested, running AGP at 1.6 (5200 FX card) and played with Vdimm up to 2.85 V. I typically leave it at 2.7v.

The more V voltage, the less MemTest errors at 200 MHz fsb.

Leaving the FSB set to 195 Mhz, I don't get any errors with both DIMMs installed. Set it higher, and errors begin.

Using one DIMM individually, memtest passes with default settings (I did this first when I suspected RAM: I never tested it with manual settings, but the timing was set to 2.5-3-3-8 by SPD)

I got the VG400 kit so that I could expect to run up to 200 Mhz FSB, with no expectation that it would work higher (even if it often does: good quality :). I also only run in single channel mode, not attempting dual channel.

If it was the CPU, I would expect failures at 200 MHz with only one DIMM, which is what is really puzzling. This, and the decrease in memory errors as reported by memtest with the increase of Vdimm has the engineer in me very curious as well.

This is why I am not thinking 'bad part' in the least bit, and want to get to the bottom of what I am seeing. You certianly have seen far more posts and issues then I have, so I am open to suggestions.

Power I think is also ruled out, with my Antec 430 in there, its rated well over 30a at 3v and 5v, and 26a at 12v.

I appreciate the input,

- b

• Corsair Employees
If it was the CPU, I would expect failures at 200 MHz with only one DIMM, which is what is really puzzling. This, and the decrease in memory errors as reported by memtest with the increase of Vdimm has the engineer in me very curious as well.

Well not always, there is more loading on the chipset and CPU when running more memory, 20 loads per module. So if both modules will run and pass one up with http://www.memtest.org it is likely the errors are coming from the CPU O.C. You can try and up the CPU VCore and or try and lower the CPU Multiplier.

Well not always, there is more loading on the chipset and CPU when running more memory, 20 loads per module. So if both modules will run and pass one up with http://www.memtest.org it is likely the errors are coming from the CPU O.C. You can try and up the CPU VCore and or try and lower the CPU Multiplier.

Interesting point. I will test it with a certified 200 FSB processor and call it a day then. I appreciate the feedback. Given the processor is not certified for 200 FSB, I am not complaining. I bought the RAM knowing if I upgraded to a faster Barton or a 64, that it would not be outdated :)

cheers,

- b

• Corsair Employees
Well no worries mate, and our modules are guaranteed for life so we will be happy to replace them. And I have no problem replacing them now if you want to try that, but from what you have posted, I would encourage you to try some of the things I have suggested to try and isolate it a bit further!

Archived