Corsair Community

8 HDD's connected to AX1200i

HDriscoll

I have a AX1200i. I also have 8 HDD's that I'll be installing into my computer. Can I use one SATA port on the PSU to power all 8 HDD's (WD Black, 1TB and 2TB drives)?

Or would it be better to split them, using one port to power 5 drives (they will be set as RAID) and another port to power the remaining 3 drives which would be used for storage.

With my Raid 1 mirrored drives I use two SATA power cables and connect the two drives in each mirror to a different power cable so if one cable fails the system keeps running.

With Raid 5 this would not help so I suspect would do 5 + 3, but first I would check the maximum start-up currents for the drives. I feel you should have posted this information.

attachment.php?attachmentid=27690&d=1486550487

Here is what I found on the WD site for power.

3, 2, 1 is for the size in TB

These are average and the peak/maximum powers will be higher and so it's those that need to be catered for.

All I could find is http://superuser.com/questions/565653/how-much-power-does-a-hard-drive-use which says 25 watts maximum, so 5 drives would be ~10 Amps which I feel is OK and 8 would be ~16 which is pushing your luck.

Archived