Corsair Community

Connecting h100i v2 fans to motherboard

DeVault

So,

I recently built myself a new PC, including the Corsair h100i v2, but quickly noticed that whenever there was load on the CPU, the fans started spinning at full force and wouldn't turn down, even after hours and hours of waiting. Only a reboot would help. So, after googling and trying everything I found (mostly adjustments in the Corsair Link software), I relented and just connected the fans to my motherboard as CPU fans under the silent profile - now my Pc is quiet and all is good...well, except I still got questions:

1) Is there any danger in having the Fans react to the CPU temperature instead of the coolant temperature? I'm 99% sure it's fine, but better safe than sorry.

2) Does this mean my Corsair h100i v2 has defective fan control and if so, should I RMA it? Or might it be a software issue? Cause even if I have a fix for now, I'm not exactly a big fan of paying for defective hardware.

I have been running my fans connected to the motherboard for quite some time, using Asus Fan Xpert to control them. There is no option to link them to the water temp so I have them slaved to the cpu temp but with a 10 second delay to stop them pulsing as the cpu temp goes up and down. In fact, I just noticed that you have the same motherboard as me.

Your H100i V2 may well be defective, If you use the Support Ticket System link above your post, you can talk it through with Corsair.

1) No. Your fans are going to spin up faster more often and likely have a higher average speed when set to CPU temp instead of coolant temp. The only adverse affect is the noise. You generally do not need a lot of fan speed with short duration or dynamic CPU loads, like gaming and most everything else. More professional applications for rendering, encoding, etc. are the exception.

2) I don't know if there is a problem with the controller. You would need to plug back in and do some testing. One of the most common errors is setting the fans to react to CPU temp in Link. However, since you specifically mentioned coolant temp, you seem to be aware that is the normal state and the range those profiles were designed for (20-40C).

Asus Fan Xpert

Where did you get it from? I can't find a download that works on Win 10 64Bit

One of the most common errors is setting the fans to react to CPU temp in Link. However, since you specifically mentioned coolant temp, you seem to be aware that is the normal state and the range those profiles were designed for (20-40C).

Yeah, that was one of the first things I checked, sadly did nothing. Also deactivated CPU Fan in my BIOS settings etc pp. Fans would still just turn up to 100% and stay there forever. Ah well, I might just get the retailer to replace it for me to be sure.

Archived