Corsair Community

MSI Neo2 platinum memory questions

skenzer

Hello,

I have a couple of questions regarding memory configurations on my MSI K8N Neo2 platinum.

First, how do I verify if I'm actually running at dual channel? I'm running your Twinx 1024-3200XL in the first two slots (green and purple)

Second, It states on MSI's website that I cannot run at DDR400 with all four slots filled with double sided DIMM's. Is this true? I assume the sticks I'm running right now are double sided that pretty much puts me out of the 2 GIG of RAM running dual channel thing, doesn't it?

Thanks

Skenz

well you cant run 4 sticks of double sided ddr 400 in that board but you can run 4 sticks of pc 2700 which is 333 in all for rows, my quick user guide shows this to me but it also says if ya had 4 sticks of single sided pc3200 you could run that. Also im having a problem with my set up i have XMS 1024 dual channel

2x 512 c2pt timings 2.5 , 3, 3, 6 is what it is suppose to be but it doesnt run stable with cpu being 1 to 1, i read up in the different part i would need XMS 1024 2x512 pc 4400 that way with my 64/3500 one to one the ram would crash like it does know so all im doing know is running the chip at its proper speed but the ram is running at 166 and so far its running stable.and i know theres not a problem with ram cause i have 2 sets of those and one set of the XMS 1024 XL PT

the A64's are unlike any other processor, the memory controller is actually built into the processor core, and runs at CORE SPEED.. meaning if you have a 1.8GHz processor, running 9x multipler x 200MHz, your memory would have to be running at 1800MHz to run 1:1. There are no memory modules that can run at that speed, so you memory and FSB (HT) must be run asynconously (meaning not at the same rate/speed)

the lowest ratio of CPU/DRAM possible with an A64 is CPU:9, so if your processor is running 9x200MHz=1800MHz/9 = 200MHz FSB (DDR400) if your running PC2100 / DDR266 / 133MHz FSB you'd be running at CPU:13. for this very reason, you want to have the fastest memory possible, so you can run at the lowest ratio possible.

let's say you can run your A64 @ 300MHz FSB, with a multipler of 9x (ie 2.7GHz or 2700MHz), well in order to run CPU:9, your memory would have to be capable of DDR600, or 300MHz FSB.. that memory doesn't even exsist.. so in order to run your processor at that speed, you need to change the CPU FSB to MEMORY FSB ratio.. The MSI boards allow your to change this ratio. They don't call it ratio though. It's under the advanced memory options, where you can select (Auto, 133, 166, 200) those are RATIOs (auto / cpu:13 / cpu:11 / cpu:9) even though they don't directly state that.

so if you have your A64 @ 300MHz FSB and your memory set at 166 (CPU:11 ratio), then your memory will be running at 9x300=2700/11 = 245MHz FSB which is possible with DDR500 memory modules

and he said that on this page

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33405

DrCool

that might help it made sence to me and works so bling bling :laughing:

Hello,

I have a couple of questions regarding memory configurations on my MSI K8N Neo2 platinum.

First, how do I verify if I'm actually running at dual channel? I'm running your Twinx 1024-3200XL in the first two slots (green and purple)

Second, It states on MSI's website that I cannot run at DDR400 with all four slots filled with double sided DIMM's. Is this true? I assume the sticks I'm running right now are double sided that pretty much puts me out of the 2 GIG of RAM running dual channel thing, doesn't it?

Thanks

Skenz

Unfortunately, yes. It's a limitation of the memory controller. For 2 sticks @ 2 GB, the TwinX2048-3200C2 are recommended.

PhucciNutt, don't know what half of your post meant, but do you have a problem with your memory that you needed help with? If so, please start a separate thread for that.

Archived