Corsair Community

New Corsair XMS memory causing blue screen crashes

jeffcp28

I recently purchased two modules of CORSAIR XMS 512MB DDR CMXSD512-3200 from newegg.com and installed them in my Dell Inspiron 9100 (Intel Pentium 4 3.2Ghz, Intel 865P chipset, 800 Mhz fsb) today. Since then, my computer has blue screen crashed several times. Each time, after rebooting, Windows sends the crash log information to Microsoft and responds saying that the problem was caused by random access memory windows program data being corrupt. I ran MemTest86 v3.2, but it completed 6 passes without detecting any errors.

(The BIOS is Dell's Inspiron 9100 series BIOS Revision A05; as for the BIOS settings, I don't know how to access them, could someone tell me?, I only see a Setup option which doesn't contain any memory settings)

Is the memory defective?

The latest Inspiron BIOS is A05 which I have.

I ran MemTest86+ on each module separately, and one of them produced 4 errors in 5 passes while the other one had no errors in 5 passes; so it looks like one of the modules is defective after all. What should I do now?

• Corsair Employees
You can either go back to the place where you bought it from, or we can replace it for you; which ever is faster for you, this will be your decision. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it, if you have decided to go through us for the RMA process!

So now I have an RMA number, but I don't know how to send the module back to Corsair. I went to FedEx, but they said that their RMA numbers all begin with "FX" so I'm not supposed to send it through them. So how and through whom am I supposed to send the module?

All they told me when they gave me the RMA number is: "Please reference the RMA Number on the packing list and shipping label. Return

the module to the following address

Corsair Memory, Inc.

44141 S. Grimmer Blvd.

Fremont, CA 94538"

They didn't mention anything about FedEx or any other shipping company (the only reason I went to FedEx was because newegg sent the modules to me through FedEx)

Yes, you pay shipping TO Corsair, and Corsair pays for shipping when they send the new sticks back to you. Standard RMA procedure from any company. Only time I've ever seen a HW manufacturer pay for shipping is when for some reason the MA replacement needs to be RMA'd within x amount of time for not working (and it's proven not to be something else causing the problem).

Archived