Corsair Community

ML120 fans, still waiting for the Blast

slenda

When plugged into the same 4-pin gaming motherboard headers, 3-pin fans brighten as fans increase with power but 4-pin (ML120) fans do not. I notice this because I been moving my 3 pin fans off my NZXT fan controller, because I discovered it is NOT the fans that are noisy but the fan controller that is the problem. Plugging the 3 pin fans into the motherboard the fans run silent. But where is the "Blast of Light" that Corsair advertises on their ML120 page ,these fans are no big deal so far, not at these prices, its only the corner caps that make them at this point. I`m still waiting for the blast...:mad::roll::confused: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/ml120-pro-led-white-120mm-premium-magnetic-levitation-fan

When plugged into the same 4-pin gaming motherboard headers, 3-pin fans brighten as fans increase with power but 4-pin (ML120) fans do not.

Which motherboard fan headers? Only the CPUFAN1/2 headers support 4-pin PWM fans. The SYSFAN1/2/3 may have the PWM control pin-4, but it's not connected.

I am guessing it's an NZXT GRID+ V2 you have which is a 3-pin voltage controller and not ideal for 4-pin PWM fans.

attachment.php?attachmentid=27510&stc=1&d=1485723262

546906474_E7917MSIZ97Gaming5fanheaders.thumb.png.9d27f654ff024c1bde8af3b89c9b3533.png

The 4-pin ML120`s are connected to the CPU fan headers, they always were. Only the 3-pins were on the NZXT sentry unit, which (the NZXT fan controller)was causing a lot of electrical noise, as I read this on other pages confirms it. Plugging the 3-pin fans into sys fan, they run silent. In fact they even show up on CorsairLink. I was wondering why the ML120`s are not that impressive or bright ? They should at least brighten and dim like the 3-pin fans.

They should at least brighten and dim like the 3-pin fans.

Why should they? The are designed to be connected to a 4-pin PWM controller and pin-2 (the power) will always be +12 volts.

It would be quite possible to have a LED that was the same brightness for an input voltage range of say 7 to 12 volts, see http://www.ledsupply.com/blog/constant-current-led-drivers-vs-constant-voltage-led-drivers/

Maybe they will come up with a 4 pin fan controller like the 3 pin NZXT Sentry(hopefully better, but looks cool at least). But 3 pin fans don't require a fan controller to brighten and dim when plugged into sys fan header. And FAN TUNE can even stop the fans and keep the LEDs on. At this point I don't see the advantage to the 4 pin fans, I'm sure there is, but I don't see it. A lot of users here have knocked FAN TUNE, saying it is a "waste of time", but it can show you what the fan or motherboard can actually do.

Archived