Corsair Community

Adding RAM to my existing quad channel system.

sblantipodi

Hi all,

I am running a 5930K processor on a X99 motherboard.

Currently I have 4x4GB Corsair LPX 2800MHz memory for a total of 16GB.

I would like to upgrade to 32GB.

Is it safe to buy another 4 sticks and pair them with the existing 4 sticks?

Will they have compatiblity issues or frequency issues?

My CPU memory controller is pretty weak so I need to set my RAM at 2666MHz CAS15 to be stable.

Will I ruin stability by adding another 4 sticks?

I have now added to my x99 board twice. 4 sticks of Dominator 2666 ddr4 running on the xmp profile at 2800.

ASUS Rampage V Extreme , 5930K

the existing set is version 4.23 and over a year old

these current kits are version 5.29 and I have put in two of them in the past week. one went back for RMA as corsair mismatched the kit and one stick had the old leds that were dim.

I did notice some blue screening in the first 30 minutes of use but then they sorted themselves out have been running fine. the first kit was in for 2 weeks , this second kit since friday so 3 days.

There is a strong belief that not buying a matching set will mean you wont get stability.

You might not, but I have had two new kits in my rig that have worked, after stress testing.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i333/boobooboo3/20170122_132351_zpsueu7r2co.jpg

2 kits of 4x4 so 32gb across 8 channels.

looking at the print on the pcbs the binning seems very close so that may have something to do with this ram being so stable. I mean I am not even running 2 kits of the same batch.

1 kit is a year old and different version but plays nice with the kits currently in production.

Hi all,

I am running a 5930K processor on a X99 motherboard.

Currently I have 4x4GB Corsair LPX 2800MHz memory for a total of 16GB.

I would like to upgrade to 32GB.

Is it safe to buy another 4 sticks and pair them with the existing 4 sticks?

Will they have compatiblity issues or frequency issues?

My CPU memory controller is pretty weak so I need to set my RAM at 2666MHz CAS15 to be stable.

Will I ruin stability by adding another 4 sticks?

Usual rules apply and mixing kits can be hit or miss. Better buy from some place that will accept returns. None of the manufacturers will offer support for mixed kits.

If your IMC is the weak link and this is important to you, consider the cost differential between that 4x4 kit and a new 4x8GB kit. The full deck of 8 modules will be harder to drive in addition to the potential memory compatibility issue. The 4x8 would offer you a chance to up the frequency or get a better set of semiconductor materials. Things have improved since the original DDR4 launch.

Archived