Corsair Community

Bad memory modules

BMW102974

4 months ago, i purchased the VS1GBKIT400 / DDR-400 (PC-3200) memory module pair to put into a new computer that I had built. for 4 months, the computer operated just fine, then one night I was put into a blue STOP screen mentioning the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL string. I would like to know how the memory would just fail after 4 months. I am using an Intel D865GLC mother board that your site lists as compatible. All settings are default. As I stated, the computer ran without error for 4 months, then died last night. Numerous attempts to try reinstalling windows it would say that files could not be copied onto hard drive. I would like to have my modules replaced ASAP to get my computer up and running. I have heard many good things about the Corsair brand and would like to stay with it since my computer ran flawlessly for 4 months. Please help me get this problem solved?

PS: I have a P4 2.4GHz with Hyperthread and an 800MHz bus

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

Please read my original post. Everything you asked for is in there.

Intel D865GLC motherboard.

CPU: 2.4GHz Intel P4 with 800MHz front side bus

MoBo is set to factory defaults for memory.

The memory worked just fine for 4 months. Died the other night. The entire computer worked just fine until the other night.

I just want to replace the memory with the same kind. I want my computer running as it did before. Please help me solve this problem by allowing a warranty replacement.

• Corsair Employees

With your Intel D865GLC MB and our VS1GBKIT400; please set the following setting, but before making the necessary changes please make sure that you have the latest BIOS installed on your MB.

VS1GBKIT400 or VS512MB400

SDRAM Frequency - 400

CPC Override - Enabled

SDRAM tRASmin - 8

SDRAM tCL - 2.5

SDRAM tRCD - 3

SDRAM tRP - 3

DDR Voltage 2.7 V

All other settings should be set to default settings!

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

I am not an expert. I don't know how to update the bios. I have NO floppy drive and don't know how to go about getting it updated otherwise. I chose the memory that YOUR site said would work and was compatible with my MoBo. This should work with the default settings. It worked absolutely fine for 4 months. Why would it die NOW under the same settings it had worked correctly for those 4 months. I should not have to change anything in the BIOS seeing as it was never an issue before. I just want to have the memory replaced so this problem is solved. If it happens again afterwards, I will be forced to choose a new company to deal with. I have a lifetime warranty. I understand that you want to stand behind your product and want to say there are no problems, but they do happen. I just want to have the memory replaced, please??

• Corsair Employees
I do understand, but at the same time if your BIOS version has a bug on it, and flashing the BIOS to the latest one is the only solution; then regardless of which memory module you use on your system, then it is not going to work. So please update your BIOS to the latest one, and set the following BIOS settings.

How do you get a bug in the BIOS if it ran just fine for 4 months? How would that happen? How do I flash the BIOS without a floppy drive?? This is becoming more work than it was ever worth. I am NOT an expert. I do NOT know how to flash the BIOS. It ran fine for 4 months, now there may or may not be a bug??? This is ridiculous. I will not change settings on my MoBo when it was fine in the first place. I will not take the chances on causing damages to the MoBo or processor or making things worse by changing these settings. It ran fine at default for 4 months, and it should run fine at default. How do I get a bug in my BIOS?!? How does that happen? I am not trying to pull one over on your company, I just want what I paid for: a LIFETIME GUARANTEE on the memory module that was purchased.

• Corsair Employees
You can also go to our website at http://www.corsairmemory.com, and under the tech resources you should be able to find a warranty information link; from there you should be able to D/L the RMA form so that you can fill it out as well and send it via email as an attachment; all questions that you may have about the RMA policy and procedure should be on this page as well!

Archived