Corsair Community

Bad TwinX512-3200XL, not stable and failing memory tests

n3ulc

My System: ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe V2.0 w/MX440 APG 64m video card

CPU: Athlon XP 3000+ FSB400, not overclocked

I've just baught the TwinX512-3200XL from Monarch Computers Sytems and Ive been have problems ever sence I've installed these two sticks of memory. I been running with a VS2700 256MB Stick of memory and it runs fine. I downloaded the memtest86+ program and ran it with the two sticks together and at one at a time. at chip defaults one stick ran fine without any problems and then I ran the test on the other one and it came up with about 128 errors on that one stick. I hope I can get some help on these a lot better than from the place I got them from.

It made windows very unstable and it would make windows automaticly restart without any warning. The timing setting are 2225 and I even tried going with 2325 and windows still ccomes up with errors that it can't write to memory. I would like to get an rma number and exchange them for another set if I can. And thanks for any help that you can provide for me.

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB and that you have the memory modules installed on either DIMM slots 1&3 or 2&3; change the jumper settings from the default 1-2 to 2-3, load Setup/Optimized default settings and try the following BIOS settings;

TwinX1024 or TwinX512-3200XL

CPU Freq: 200 MHz (400 FSB)

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Resulting Frequency: 200 MHz (400 FSB)

Memory Timing: User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 2T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T

DDR Reference Voltage: 2.8 Volts

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

All other settings are motherboards defaults

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

well I did what you told me to do, I've update the bios to 1008 and Everything else that you posted. Now the one that gave me all the errors only comes up with two errors now out of 8 passes of using ramtest. it came up with an error on test 4 on the second pass and feiled test 7 on the second pass. then I've tried the other stick with 8 psses and it came back at 100% and passed all tests.

I do have a second question about my steup. I'm currently running a cheap run of the mill 300 Watt power supply. Do you have a min. of a power supply that you would use and would my 300w p.s. give me a lille problems with my 3000+ cpu w/400fsb and my 3200XL mem. I want to get my system as stable as possible. I know if I go with a bigger video card I know it will have to be replaced so that is my next upgrade to my system.

I've been using my mem at the 2-2-2-5 settings now for a little bit and so far it's not resetting it self like it used to. " knok on wood" so please give me your input on these, thanks for all the help... :biggrin: :biggrin:

Your PSU is too small; I will highly recommend you to get 500-550 watts PSU, in that case later on you know that you can utilize the PSU rather than purchasing a new one if you upgrade your system!

:confused: I've got a antec ps true480 and ran the tests again and the one stick still comes up with errors. Along with windows restarting without no reason with a flash of a blue screen. Tried everything so far of what you told me to do but still doing the same things. Thanks for your input. :):

Archived