Corsair Community

H115i Fans - Had enough!

RiflemanFirst

I've had my H115i cooler for a little under a year now and have decided to replace the stock Corsair fans. Recently, one of them has developed a rattling noise and both make an annoying humming sound at almost any speed. Once reaching 1300 RPM, the noise is just downright distracting. Doesn't make any difference if used in push or pull configuration. They are much louder than the fans that came with my Air 540 case and are the noisiest part of my system. I ordered some Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-2000 PWM fans on Amazon a little while ago and they will be here in two days thanks to Prime. Looking forward to reducing the fan noise and maybe dropping a couple degrees while I'm at it.

Rant over.

I understand and you are not the first person to express dissatisfaction with the included SP140L fans. They are a high speed, but moderate cost fan and you are going to get noise. The reason for including that type of fan is fairly evident. People buy the cooler that wins the benchmark, even if by only 1-2C. Cost is the other main factor.

Would you be willing to pay $25 over the original price for it to include a pair of ML140 grey fans? Another $40+ to include ML140 Pro fans? The answer might be yes, but the problem is fans have become both a decorative and performance item. Some people want as quiet as possible. So want as much performance as possible. Some a red LED. Some no LEDs. There is no way to make everyone (or even a portion) happy and you've added to the base price of the cooler. I have no problem tossing aside the included fans on day 1 to use something from my collection. However, if I paid another $40-50 to get a pair of fans I didn't want, that might stop me from buying the cooler in the first place.

I do think there should be a poll question so the community can weigh in with their feelings. I am OK with a price bump, but I would rather see the increase in quality go to something I cannot address myself, like the pump or radiator build quality. Fans are the easiest thing to replace to alter your design and/or performance. I can only think of 1 or 2 cooler models of any type that come with premium fans and they have more than a premium price to match.

I feel the cooler should be sold without any fans so you could then buy whichever fans you desire.

I can agree with this. Offer an option without fans. But then I wonder how many people would install it as-is and get confused as to why their CPUs are throttling and shutting down.

I wonder how many people would install it as-is and get confused as to why their CPUs are throttling and shutting down.

About the same number as connect a H100iV2/H80iV2 to the CPU_FAN header and then fail to disable CPU_FAN fan control in the BIOS :brick:.

I understand and you are not the first person to express dissatisfaction with the included SP140L fans. They are a high speed, but moderate cost fan and you are going to get noise. The reason for including that type of fan is fairly evident. People buy the cooler that wins the benchmark, even if by only 1-2C. Cost is the other main factor.

Would you be willing to pay $25 over the original price for it to include a pair of ML140 grey fans? Another $40+ to include ML140 Pro fans? The answer might be yes, but the problem is fans have become both a decorative and performance item. Some people want as quiet as possible. So want as much performance as possible. Some a red LED. Some no LEDs. There is no way to make everyone (or even a portion) happy and you've added to the base price of the cooler. I have no problem tossing aside the included fans on day 1 to use something from my collection. However, if I paid another $40-50 to get a pair of fans I didn't want, that might stop me from buying the cooler in the first place.

I do think there should be a poll question so the community can weigh in with their feelings. I am OK with a price bump, but I would rather see the increase in quality go to something I cannot address myself, like the pump or radiator build quality. Fans are the easiest thing to replace to alter your design and/or performance. I can only think of 1 or 2 cooler models of any type that come with premium fans and they have more than a premium price to match.

Who says it should cost $25-40 for Corsair to include better fans like the ML140's. Corsair buys them by the thousands, they don't pay retail price.

Must be a lot of profit in AIO coolers, every company jumping on board to sell them these days.

Got the Noctua fans this afternoon and installed them. Like others who have done the swap before me, I could immediately hear that the fans were much quieter overall and a much different tone when running at high RPMs. Thanks to this, I was able to adjust my fan curve and bring down the temps a couple degrees. Definitely happy with the purchase.

Just wanted to share some recent findings in my system after installing the Noctua fans. I was using the two Noctua fans on the H115i in the pull configuration and the temperature of the coolant was reaching 42.5C during gaming. I noticed this because I have a warning set to turn the Corsair pump LED red when it reaches 42C and my case fans spin up faster when the CPU heats up. After switching the Noctuas to the push configuration, the coolant temperature hasn't exceeded 38.8C. Almost a 4C drop in coolant temp seems pretty significant to me. It also appears that idle temps are down 1-2C as well.

So in conclusion, at least in my current system, push config on the radiator is noticeably more efficient and gives me reduced coolant temps. In turn, lower CPU load temps and quieter fan operation in gaming.

Anyone who is thinking about trying new fans on their H115i may want to compare the difference of push or pull with their setup as well. That said, if you do a push and pull setup instead, you can rid yourself of all the guesswork and improve temps even more.

I am using H115i... I am uncomfortable while working %25 speed.

Corsair fans so bad and works very loudly.We pay money for quality, liquid cooler and slince but corsair has upset us.I do not know if I should recommend it.

Big mistake texting.Absolutely deleted

Ekran_Al_nt_s.png

1485295461_Ekran_Al_nt_s.jpg

Akasa Viper 14cm PWM good choise.

[ame]

[/ame]

Just wanted to share some recent findings in my system after installing the Noctua fans. I was using the two Noctua fans on the H115i in the pull configuration and the temperature of the coolant was reaching 42.5C during gaming. I noticed this because I have a warning set to turn the Corsair pump LED red when it reaches 42C and my case fans spin up faster when the CPU heats up. After switching the Noctuas to the push configuration, the coolant temperature hasn't exceeded 38.8C. Almost a 4C drop in coolant temp seems pretty significant to me. It also appears that idle temps are down 1-2C as well.

So in conclusion, at least in my current system, push config on the radiator is noticeably more efficient and gives me reduced coolant temps. In turn, lower CPU load temps and quieter fan operation in gaming.

Anyone who is thinking about trying new fans on their H115i may want to compare the difference of push or pull with their setup as well. That said, if you do a push and pull setup instead, you can rid yourself of all the guesswork and improve temps even more.

there is no need to try, push will always be slightly more efficient in any scenario

• 4 weeks later...

Archived