Corsair Community

SFX PSU in Obsidian 250D?

Vince3

I have an adapter, along with an SFX PSU that I was going to put in another case. That case didn't work out, so I returned it and got a 250D. I'm wondering if it's fine to use the SFX, or if an ATX is a better choice for this case.

The other case, which wasn't a Corsair, was a fingerprint magnet and had a poorly conceived internal layout and front panel wiring.

Back to the 250D, I took a closer look and don't think an SFX is right for this case. The 250D appears to be designed to support the PSU's weight with rubber mounts on the case's floor. The bracket that attaches the PSU to the back of the case has only two screws at the top, leaving the bottom of the bracket free to flex outward if an unsupported PSU sags. I don't think an SFX would reach any of the rubber stands. I could try to rig support for the SFX, but it's unopened and still in the return period. I'll just take it back and get an ATX.

One typical comment in reviews of the 250D is that it's awfully big for an M-ITX case. Maybe Corsair could design a smaller M-ITX option with the same basic hardware arrangement, but with an SFX bay and all 2.5 drives.

Archived