Corsair Community

CX500M strange reboot problem.

JohnFD

This is my first post here so please be patient!

It's just over 3 years since I built my current system. It's behaved itself till recently and I've not made any changes lately. The issue is that, if I switch the PC off then back on, it won't restart.

-In the morning I switch on and everything is as it should be.

-If I click "Restart" then that works fine as well.

-If I send the computer to sleep it won't wake. The on/off switch lights and the fan runs but it does no more.

-If the computer is running and I shut it down then need to start it again the same thing happens. The switch lights, the fan runs but the system doesn't bleep or begin to start up. If the PC is left switched off for say 40mins (15 mins is not enough) then it will start up fine.

It doesn't seem to be an overheating issue as, if I start the computer so the system loads then immediately switch it off, I still have to do the 40min wait. I can also use the computer all day without any unexpected reboots or system freezes.

I've done a memory test, disconnected then reconnected everything and reseated the RAM. I've had a close look at the motherboard hunting for dodgy capacitors and can't see any.

I suspect the PSU might be on the way out. What do you think?

Update: It does seem to be a PSU problem.

I remembered that I had an old PC in the loft so robbed it of its PSU, a 350W Jeantec. I balanced it on a pile of books and plugged it into my current PC. The problem was gone. Put the old PSU back and the problem reappeared. I haven't made a permanent switch to the old 350W PSU as I don't think it's big enough. I'll order a replacement and leave the computer switched on all day in the meantime.

I suspect 350 watts is enough given you don't have a dedicated GPU.

I would be inclined to get a http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/rmi-series-rm650i-650-watt-80-plus-gold-certified-fully-modular-psu-uk as that will tell you how much power the system is actually using.

Thanks Ray. When I put my system into various PSU calculators it comes up with 500W probably just to give enough headroom but, like you say, 350W would most likely be OK. I still want a new PSU though because that old one doesn't have enough of the correct connectors and it's a mess with all the adapters.

The PSU in the link might be a bit pricey for me although a 10 year warranty will take me up to my 70th birthday! It looks like the smallest one with Corsair Link and it is 80plus Gold certified so it might have some leverage with the holder-of-the-purse-strings.

Yes, the specs are correct. There are a number of USB items including a portable hard drive. Then there are 3 fans but nothing specially power hungry. The PSU calculator you quote has my consumption as pretty low but it still recommends a 500W job. I have, however, managed to persuade her ladyship of the merits of the RM650i which I can find on line at £105 delivered. Should I go ahead or would it be overkill? I might get a mid-range graphics card at some point.

I feel so, but I would not use CL4 to monitor it. All of AIDA64 + HWiNFO + SIV (my utility) do a far better job.

The RM650i will also provide plenty of power for a mid-range graphics card.

Once you get it I would be interested to hear how much power the system actually uses.

I'm going to go for it. I spend a lot of my time at this computer (when not restoring old motorcycles) and it will give some future proofing. I might add more memory, do video editing - who knows.

Interestingly, this afternoon I have downloaded SIV and am exploring it and trying to understand what it all means. I've got a fairly good understanding.

Thanks for your help Ray. I'll post an update on power usage.

I fitted my new PSU yesterday. As predicted power use is low, only about 100W. I had as much going on at the same time as I could. The fan never moved so it's very quiet.

http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab317/v7johnpics/SIV.jpg

The fan never moved so it's very quiet.

As I recall the fan won't start 'till the PSU is about 40% loaded which is about 250 watts, though you could use [Link Fans] to force it to run. I would be inclined to set it to PWM 100% to check the bearing noise is minimal.

I guess the £64,000 is has the restart gone away?

Yes the restart problem is gone. It fires up properly now and I can use "sleep" mode.

I've had the PSU fan spinning by holding the test button down and can't hear any bearing noise but I'll work out how to do as you suggest.

Archived