Corsair Community

One Bad Module

downhere

I have a pair of TWINX CMX 3200 LL in a MSI MB 875PNeo-FIS2R with current BIOS 2.40. The Board and memory were purchased on June 29, 2003 from Deals Direct in Ottawa. I have been getting increasingly frequent crashes usually near the Windows login screen after booting up or after. I can only run in slow single channel mode now. Windows advisor suggested a memory test in which the modules failed in many categories. I have run memtest86+ and one module failed. I have taken the units to Deals Direct service and they have tested them and found one of the modules failed on their system too.

Please advise what I should do. Many thanks

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure you have the latest BIOS installed in your MB and load optimized/optimal default settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

Advanced Chipset:

Memclock Mode: Manual (400)

Bank Interleaving: 4/Enabled

Burst Length: 8

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

Frequency Voltage Control:

Spread Spectrum: Enabled

CPU FSB Clock: 200

DDR Voltage: 2.7/2.75 Volts

All other settings should be set to default settings!

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

The results with these settings are interesting. Memtest86 and 86+ results are good (no failures) for each module. The I repeated the windows memory test for each module and both modules fail in all categories! Note that the memory voltages are higher than the default MSI ones.

As I can boot up in safe mode without apparent issue, I thought this could be a sound card or windows-related. Uninstalling and removing sound card has same crashy result. I have tried a fresh install of windows XP on an extra hard drive with only motherboard drivers - nothing else. System crashed during reboot of xp as required during installation and continues to crash after windows welcome window, just like the original drive.

Oddly enough if there is an error message (service not loaded) the system does not usually crash and seems stable until you reboot. If I delete or repair the services (printer, MSI Liveupdate) it crashes!

I am becoming doubtful that this problem is memory related despite the DealsDirect evaluation of the modules. In all this there have been no blue screens. I am tempted to either put the system in for repair (expensive and possibly unproductive) or replace the MSI 875p with an ECS 848p that I recieved "free" with the processor (good-bye dual channel). The MSI would rarely go above "fast" settings anyway.

Do you think this is memory? If not, any suggestions?

Thanks again

• Corsair Employees
I would suggest you still to set the voltage at 2.75 volts, even though they go higher, this will tell the system to manually run it at that voltage, and see how it goes. Replacing the MSI MB with an ECS MB is actually coming from bad to worse. I would just try and get an RMA for my MB, and see if the ECS will do the job for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Ultimately I installed the ECS MB which booted to the "strike DEl for setup" message and would then shut down and rerepeat infinitely. I put the Board into PC Cyber Service which initially said the problem was MB but finally said it was the (new) processor! What an ordeal.

You will be pleased to know that I have replaced the MSI MB with an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe which is running fine and stable in dual channel mode with my old 2.6 C processor.

The MB in auto mode sets the voltage at 2.65. What settings do you recommend for this MB? I have a AIW 9800 pro card in the system as well.

Thanks for your support!

Archived