Corsair Community

Corsair H100i V2 mounting issues

jrcbandit

I've been having a cooling problem with my H100i V2 - it idles around 27-28 C, game play cooling is okay in the 40-60 C range depending on the game, but anything truly stressful the temperature immediately goes crazy high 90 C+. If I run a stress test to test overclocking stability (Prime95 26.6), some of the cores immediately jump to 100 C indicating that there is not proper contact with the cooler.... EDIT: I remounted the cooler after completely removing the motherboard to ensure it was put on evenly. I got a partial fix. Instead of Prime95 jumping to 100 C, it now jumps to 85 C and slowly increases to 88 C for core 1. Core 4 though is in the low 70s. However, this still seems way to high for Core 1 and there is a huge disparity between core 1 and core 4 temps.

How can I fix this problem? Should I get some plastic or rubber washers and place them under the motherboard to allow it to tighten better? What size washers should I use?

Could the bracket be on incorrectly? I know the original H100i bracket had only a single direction for proper installation, but the H100i V2 bracket doesn't seem to have that limitation?

I updated my profile. Here are some photos of CL4 at idle and running Prime95 (version 26.6 since higher versions run much hotter).

idle (idle temps can be lower, this is after quitting a game before it eventually cools down to 27-28 C):

32167927026_d6d357898b_z.jpg

prime95 custom fan profile (based on H100 v2 water temperature, will go up to 1600-1700 rpm under load but I didn't want to run Prime95 at these temps for too long to get the h100 v2 water temperature warm enough):

31395771543_8ff6b30246_z.jpg

prime95 with max fan speed:

32167926936_c208402577_z.jpg

Should I have the H100i fan speeds be based on CPU temp instead of H100i V2 water temp? I also have 2x Gentle Typhoon AP-15 fans in pull on the radiator that are controlled by my motherboard. They idle around 1200 rpm and under load will go to 1500-1600 rpm (out of max 1700 rpm, supposedly it's 1800 but motherboard maxes the fan at 1700). I would have 4 gentle typhoon on the radiator, but my gentle typhoon aren't PWM so corsair link wouldn't work with them.

The H100iV2 coolant temperature is only about 31°C which is good so changing fan settings should have little if any effect.

The issue may be the cooler seating on the CPU. When you remounted it did you clean off the old thermal compound, what new compound did you use and how much? You would use a blob about the size of a small pea.

The H100iV2 coolant temperature is only about 31°C which is good so changing fan settings should have little if any effect.

The issue may be the cooler seating on the CPU. When you remounted it did you clean off the old thermal compound, what new compound did you use and how much? You would use a blob about the size of a small pea.

Yes I cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol to remove all TIM. I'm using Prolimatech PK-3 as the TIM. I might have used too much as I did an X pattern. I haven't checked on if there any better compounds in the last 2 years or so, the tube I think is from 2013-2014ish, not sure how long a tube is good for.

I think I'll definitely reapply it using a blob/pea in the middle, but I might order some new TIM if I should use something else?

Thanks for the advice.

Archived