Corsair Community

Is this pump noise normal?

TrAAsT

I'm getting this noise from my pump on the H110i GT, presumably caused by vibrations.

I can block the high pitch noise by just touching one of the thumb screws with a magnetic screwdriver too(?)

It's a high pitch noise that is just so noticable and annoying.

For me, the volume at 100% resembles the noise pretty well.

H110i GT Noise

I managed to reduce the noise by tightening the thumb screws as far as I could possibly get them. But, it's still the dominating noise in the system as I don't need high RPMs on the fans.

I'm I supposed to tighten the screws extremely hard to reduce the noise and should I start trying to find ways to patch the noise with washers/magnets or something, or is the pump vibrating more than what's normal?

DO NOT overtighten the screws or you risk damaging your cpu/motherboard. Try listening to the pump (I use a non magnetic screwdriver, touch the tip to the pump and listen to the handle). If the noise is definitely coming from there (and it's set on Performance) you can try reducing it to quiet. I had a noise that I thought was coming from the pump, but it turned out to be from the hdd bay.

If reducing the speed doesn't work, use the Support Ticket System link above your post.

I agree with the above. Be careful with over-tightening. I also think you sound contact Corsair support as ultimately they are the only ones that can help you resolve this.

This is an H110i GT? Was the unit operating normally before and now has started the noise? I don't hear any abnormal mechanical tones in the recording. However, it can be difficult to capture and a high pitch hum or buzz may not be strictly mechanical in nature. Check all your electrical connections on GT. If you can touch the unit and it stops, that seems clear to me something is no longer doing what it should. Hopefully Tech Support agrees.

I agree with the above. Be careful with over-tightening. I also think you sound contact Corsair support as ultimately they are the only ones that can help you resolve this.

This is an H110i GT? Was the unit operating normally before and now has started the noise? I don't hear any abnormal mechanical tones in the recording. However, it can be difficult to capture and a high pitch hum or buzz may not be strictly mechanical in nature. Check all your electrical connections on GT. If you can touch the unit and it stops, that seems clear to me something is no longer doing what it should. Hopefully Tech Support agrees.

Yes, it's an H110i GT, and I just got it. The high pitch vibration noise was pretty significantly louder when I tightened it normally, ~1/4-1/2 turn after finger tightened. The noise does not change if I touch it.

Listening to the handle of the screwdriver when it's touching either the metal holding plate that goes over the pump or the thumb screws, reveals the same noise, but very loud of course. I've also disconnected all the fans, GPU and HDD to isolate the noise. This is on quiet mode, on performance mode it's just a loud vibration noise.

I think there's a small gap between the standoffs and the motherboard, so it won't scratch it at least. I hope the thumb screws aren't threaded far enough to damage the CPU. The pump is also silent when it's not mounted, so the noise must come from the vibrations it creates. The tubes are also vibrating, but again, significantly less than they did previous to the overtightening.

Here's a video I found that has the same noise.[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwPkYAit-jM]video[/ame]

I would still contact customer service or use any exchange options at your disposal. I have been down this road of trying to band-aid the problem with hefty amount of neoprene, sound dampening, and gaskets galore. It was always a loosing battle and I should have returned it immediately, rather than waste 11 months in vain. If the vibrations are there, they will always be there until you fix the source of the problem -- the pump. This is something you can't do, but in the meantime your motherboard is the prime dampening agent. Not exactly ideal.

Archived