Corsair Community

Corsair 900D Maximum CPU Cooler Height limitation

SMitrovic1982

I have read the specs for the Corsair 900D case and I am impressed by the features with the case in terms of Water-cooling capability, and motherboard compatibility. My only issue is that for air cooling why is the case limited to 170mm Maximum CPU Cooler Height? Why not go for 200mm or more to allow clearance for tall memory modules for large air coolers such as Noctua NH-D15 in dual fan mode?

With dual fans the maximum compatibility of RAM is <= 32mm. According to Noctua's website the outer fan can be adjusted higher to allow the spacing for taller memory modules up to 64mm because that is when the heatsink fins start blocking the RAM, but that would increase the total clearance height of the overall HSF unit. This means that the tallest memory modules with the 900D case and this Heatsink Fan Unit cannot exceed 37mm. This can be a problem if a builder chooses to install tall memory modules, especially the current high performance RAM modules that include a heatspreader that probably measure between 50 and 60mm.

Archived