Corsair Community

high temps 100i v2

domjam

hi last year i RMAd my old h100 cooler and it was replaced with a h100i v2. things seemd ok. but im getting problems. my idel temp from browsing the internet with the fan profile on quite was going to 70c this did not seem rightt so i resseted the cpu block. removed thermal paste reapplyd this stuff called "thermal grizzly" however i had trouble reseeting the block without it coming away and some paste went over the side and spreaded a bit to the motherboard..i cleand it up with fiber cloth .it ws not alot. and temps were in the 30s so something improved. but sooner or later the temps started going up again..im seeing others reporting that there on higher overclocks then me and there ideling in the 20s...maybe i have a bad chip..and need more voltage which makes more heat. so in this case i reset everything back to factory on my asus sabertooth board to see what the temps were the temps were more or les the same as my 4ghz overclock with the exption of one of the corse being in the 20s. but others 30 and overal packegfe still 40. i tryd to reseet it again this time with less paste. block still came loos after making contact to cpu but only once this time .i cant seem to do this without it coming loos. im just reallly crap at this..and iv kind of run out of thermal paste :S trying to do this.

at idel on a 4gbz im in the 40s. and when running prime for a little over 20 mins it was at 79c.. is it vital to seet the block first time over the cpu once it comes in contact with thermal paste? or is there something els im missing here..

Take a look at your H100i v2 Temp on the main display in Link. This is the coolant temperature inside the cooler. When at idle (and not right after a heavy load), this value should be just a few degrees over your room temperature or more specifically very close to your case ambient temperature. If you cold boot the PC, open Link and watch the value. With a properly functioning cooler, it will very slowly rise 4-6C over 5-10 minutes and level off. If there is a problem with the cooler, this value will rise much quicker and continue to do so past 30C, past 40C, and up. If this is your situation, make sure you have not unintentionally reduced the voltage to the CPU header (or wherever the H100i is connected). If it is getting a constant 12v and has pump speeds in the expected 1900-2900 range, then you most likely need to RMA to cooler.

Everything else is either a voltage setting or contact problem and there are many possibilities. I would stow the Grizzly for the time being. While it may nick another 3-4C off a high TDP chip, it's too expensive to use when troubleshooting. The brand of TIM is not the issue here.

Archived