Corsair Community

Did I damage my RAM

T.N.D.

New to the Forum...

I have an ASUS A7N8X-E-Deluxe MB and I've been running TwinX 1024-3200XL memory. Since I had an open slot I thought I would add some more Ram. I went down to where I buy my computer parts and asked him what would be compatable.

He sold me a stick of CMX512-3200C2PT, well it wasn't, I found out it has a diff. Latency. Computer crashed and wouldn't reboot.

I took out the new Ram and my computer still woudn't reboot, I finally had to reset my default settings in BIOS.

Could I have damaged my TwinX Dual Memory sticks.

T.N.D.

Thanks RG, I'm returning the RAM today. I'll be sticking with my Twinx for the near future. But when I do add RAM in the future a 512/1Gig stick of 1024-3200XL memory should pose no problem right?, as long as the Case Latency is the same as my Twinx Memory.

Thanks for the help.

T.N.D.

You would also want the revisions to be the same. Sometimes the same sticks with different revisions don't play nice together. Since you are going to a store locally and can see what you're getting you have a good chance of getting them the same.....

FYI, if you added a 3rd module into an A7N8X system, you might end up running virtual-single channel since both channels wouldn't match up... this doesn't always happen, just sometimes.

Also, the modules you have are running 2-2-2-5 and adding another XL module, even if rated to 2-2-2-5 would probably make your system need to be set at 2.5-3-3-7 or so to get them all to run w/out instability.

More modules = more effort in accessing memory and invokes more latencies.

PLUR

CK

Archived